Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Schulte-Kulkmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

Yes, I know the game is named "Race for the Galaxy" and not "Crawl for the Stars" , but did anybody come up with a viable variant allowing for a longer game?

A simple approach would be a tweaking of the victory conditions to x cards in display and / or y points in the pool, but I guess that such a change needs quite a bit of finetuning in order not to shift the game in favour of either the production or the building approach.

So, did any variant survive initial playtesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kulkmann wrote:
Yes, I know the game is named "Race for the Galaxy" and not "Crawl for the Stars" , but did anybody come up with a viable variant allowing for a longer game?

Yes. Everywhere in the rules the number 12 appears, replace it with a larger number, such as 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wei-Hwa posted the rules to "Super Race for the Galaxy" here, which carries on until you run out of cards in the draw deck. That long enough for you? While not nearly as well-balanced as the game proper, it's certainly fun for a few goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that the playtesters reported was that the victor didn't change much if you increased the playtime (defined as number of turns) past what they finally settled on (which was 12 cards or the VP pool of 12*players).

To be honest, I'd rather play a second game with a second potential winner than be forced to slog through the last third of an 'extended' game when the point differential is insurmountable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
a second game with a second potential winner

Yes, maybe by swapping start worlds in the 2P case. With more players, perhaps choose from the start worlds just used, giving the lowest-scoring player first choice, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, just deal out another game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
One thing that the playtesters reported was that the victor didn't change much if you increased the playtime (defined as number of turns) past what they finally settled on (which was 12 cards or the VP pool of 12*players).

Not quite true. The playtesters were pretty oblivious about this factor. Tom played about a hundred games by himself to find where the proper breakpoint was. That's why he's the designer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, thank you for the clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

To be honest, I'd rather play a second game with a second potential winner than be forced to slog through the last third of an 'extended' game when the point differential is insurmountable.

Perhaps there needs to be more interaction among players ... This way you can gang up on the leader ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.