Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With my girlfriend currently living 'across the pond', I have given some thought to video-conference-based gaming. I admit that purely computer-based games are easier (though we had lots of difficulties with brettspielwelt, where it sometimes would take minutes for her moves to update). BUT, with video-conference-based gaming (VCB-gaming), you still have the feel of a real game, even if the players can't be in the same room.

I've had good success with Dominion, and written a session report on it. But Dominion is a special case: Mostly, you play with your card, and she plays with her cards. Trust is needed, but it's really easy to play via Skype, if each has a copy of the game.

But I'm thinking about expanding to different games. I have a few ideas what one could do with open-information games (i.e. no secret card hand). What I would need for that is to send good-quality still images quickly and easily (preferably by simply pressing a hotkey). Does anyone knows a software that will help me do that? I have a pretty good webcam, the quality of the still image should be good enough, but sending over skype compresses the image so much it's not any use for, say, figuring out a game board.

I am also looking for ideas for closed-information games. How would you, for example, play RFTG via video conference? She has a copy, and I could buy one if we figured out a way to make it work.

Ideas? Suggestions? I know you are a creative bunch! Don't hide it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you use an online game with a shared board you should have no problems using skype or what have you at the same time. I play using Skype video and Vassal once in a while and it works quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
I often play Dominion online at BSW. Its free to join and play. I then use Skype to speak to friends as we are playing.

http://www.brettspielwelt.de

For my GF, brettspielwelt is sometimes very slow. It really sucks to wait 5 minutes to wait for your last Pandemic move to show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordican wrote:
If you use an online game with a shared board you should have no problems using skype or what have you at the same time. I play using Skype video and Vassal once in a while and it works quite well.

My initial idea, but the video quality just isn't good enough for us.

Plus, it would be nice to have one normal webcam were you can see the people, and a better camera for stills of the game. Do you know any tool for sending high-quality webcam images directly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.