Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: How does these game fare as 2p games and which one would you choose to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Rovaniemi
msg tools
Hi.

I am looking to buy a game for me and my girlfriend. We will 90% of the time just play the 2 of us, thus we are looking for a game that:

1: Works good for 2 players

2: Have good interaction

3: Is not to advanced and takes too long to play ( I guess up to 2 hours is ok)

So we so far found the following games interesting (have not played them, but read about them):

- Dominion

- Memoir 44/BattleLore:
What’s the major dif. Between them except setting? I am into strategy and wargames but she never played ay so I guess these are good starters.

- Age of empires III: And if u know any other good Civilization like game fitting the 3 above criterias.

- Warrior Knights:Seems nice and not to random (like risk that is mostly dices dices)

- Rune wars: Well basically on the list as we are trying to find a RISK that has more to it, and still is not to complex. Seems expensive though.

- Small world: Seems like a light area control game, I like those.

- Kingsburg

- Warhammer invasion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion works great with 2 people but the interaction levels are often pretty low (depending on which cards you play with and whether you also pick up the expansions or not.)

Memoir 44 would be good too unless your other half doesn't like the theme. I've never played Battlelore but I imagine that would be about the same. Plenty of interaction here are certainly not overly complex.

I love Small World and Kingsburg but I've never tried them with 2 so can't really comment there.

I love WK (with the expansion) but I wouldn't play it with less than 3 players. Ever.

Finally, W:I I've not played but it is specifically 2 player and is supposed to be enjoyable and should certainly be high on the interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you've listed I'd suggest

Small World - this may also qualify as your 'looking for something similar to risk'. It scales really well between 2 and 5 too.

Dominion may also fit the bill - though having previously fallen into the Magic: The Gathering money pit, I'm starting to steer away from what is a thoroughly enjoyable game before it expands beyond recognition, and the same money pit beckons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rovaniemi
msg tools
First off, thanks for the really fast replies! Great community this

I have another game to add to this:

How does Rise of Empires fare as a 2p game? Seems a bit smarter and faster then AOEIII. Maybe i am wrong, who knows....

And with memoir 44 and battlelore - yes my girl do not missmind the themes at all in those, maybe a bit more towards the ww2 then fantasy. Although i am wondering what the dif gameplay wise is between them. As i seem not to be able to figure this out. Also when it comes to expansions - In the long run what of these 2 games is the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peXmo wrote:

How does Rise of Empires fare as a 2p game? Seems a bit smarter and faster then AOEIII. Maybe i am wrong, who knows....

And with memoir 44 and battlelore - yes my girl do not missmind the themes at all in those, maybe a bit more towards the ww2 then fantasy. Although i am wondering what the dif gameplay wise is between them. As i seem not to be able to figure this out. Also when it comes to expansions - In the long run what of these 2 games is the best?

Rise of Empires is ok as a 2 player game, but better with more. If one player gets a good start it can be impossible for the other player to catch up. AoEIII one the other hand works great with 2, no problems at all. But you should know that it is not a civ-game, it is a worker placement game (like Stone Age, Agricola etc.) with area control and set collection thrown in. Great game though, and works equally well with anything from 2 to 5 players.

Battlelore is more complex than Memoir'44. There are more unit types and extra rules (e.g., magic). However, the first scenarios do not use the advanced rules, these are added in the lather scenrios, and I would not say that Battlelore is hard to learn. Pick the one with the theme that interests you the most. I have played one expansion for Memoir'44 (Eastern Front) and was disappointed. The exapsnions for Battlelore look more varied and more interesting, but I haven't played those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife really enjoys Dominion. I also own BattleLore but my wife isn't interested in the least and I'm sure the same would apply to Memoir '44 since she doesn't like war based games. If your GF is OK with that theme, then these may be good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune wars is probably more complex than you are looking for and takes about 3 hours.

I'd try Smallworld first and go from there.

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peXmo wrote:
Hi.

I am looking to buy a game for me and my girlfriend. We will 90% of the time just play the 2 of us, thus we are looking for a game that:

1: Works good for 2 players

2: Have good interaction

3: Is not to advanced and takes too long to play ( I guess up to 2 hours is ok)

And if u know any other good Civilization like game fitting the 3 above criterias.

The game you are looking for is Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Small World. It is really good with 2 and if you should ever want to include others in the games, this one will handle that as well.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peXmo wrote:

I started playing Memoir '44 about 2 months ago or so, and I have to say I really love it. It is a great 2 player game, and has an overlord mode that works with 4 players if you decide later that you need to expand it. It is a great introduction to miniatures / strategy games.

I haven't played Battlelore (so take what I say about it with a grain of salt), but I've done a lot of research between the two (have been debating whether I want more Memoir expansions, or would just rather have Battlelore). The biggest differences I think is that Battlelore really focuses on melee units as opposed to ranged guys, which means it will play differently.

It seems in Battlelore you will have to focus on moving your lines up all at once / together, whereas this isn't as important in Memoir. There are also more unit types in Battlelore, with units in light/medium/heavy variants, as well as wielding different weapons. Some battle mechanics are different, adding "bold" and "frightened" units, and the capability to battle back (counter attack essentially), all based on army formations. It also adds loremasters, which grant the player abilities to cast various spells, be they buffs/debuffs/battle augmentations/ etc. From what I can tell, it seems most of the expansions just add new armies, but I am really not sure as to the expandability of this game.

Memoir I suppose is simpler than Battlelore, as there are less units and no Lore or anything like that, however functionally at a base level, the gameplay is the same (roll dice to kill units). Formations aren't as important, and strategy will be different since the focus isn't on moving melee lines up the front, but more out maneuvering your opponent. While there isn't "Lore", I believe the card deck itself contains more command cards that can be played for special effects and battle augmentations. This game is also incredibly expandable. There are a ton of expansions that really add a lot to the game, new terrain/units/rules/scenarios. If you are interested in WWII or historically themed battles (all the battles are real battles that took place), I highly suggest going with this one.

Both have an incredible amount of replayability, plus both have avid online communities that constantly create new scenarios/battles for download and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Dominion as a 2-player game, but if you want more interaction, you might want to go with Dominion: Intrigue instead. This is one of my favorite games to play with my husband.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion just didn;t work for us. Not much interaction or sense of game progression. Lots and lots of card shuffling... We've only played it as a 2-plyer and maybe that's why it didn;t catch on. I think this probably playes better with more people.

Age of Empires III - this one did not work for as a 2-player game - the board's too big and the game too long, and you kind of feel like you're all dressed up with lots of places to go but no particular place...

Small World is a great 2-player game, since it has a specific game board to use with 2 players that gives you lots of opportunity fo interaction. The theme is fun in which you're building civilizations with different attributes or powers, conquering others, and then putting your civ in decline when it's no long useful enough to you, and buuld another civ. A cool area control game kind of like diceless Risk. If you dig the fantasy theme, and don;t mind the boobalicious women falling out of their clothes, then it's a very fun tactical game with a light veil of strategy. It's had good replay value for us too, as does its predecessor, Vinci.

Kingsburg was a dud for us - it felt very repetitive and often your choices seemed umeaningful. Its dice mechanic is not nearly as interesting as Yspahan's, which does yiled meaningful choices with nearly every dice trhow. Luck is certaibly present in both games, but Yspahan's not quite as luck filled as you'd think.

Haven't played the other games, so can't comment...

Our favorite light 2-player games (in no particular order) are Yspahan, Havana, Small World, Ticket to Ride: Europe, Roll Through the Ages, San Juan, Gloria Mundi, In the Shadow of the Emperor, Railroad Tycoon (replaced by Railways of the World), Domaine, and Castle for all Seasons (which has a bit more complexity than the above games, but is still pretty light in weight).

Our favorite mid weight to heavier 2 player games are Caylus, Cuba, Through the Ages, Siena. We wish Steam was a 2-player game and that Dungeon Lords had a less clutzy 2-player variant but it's really only a 4-player game...

Games we are hoping to try and hoping they'll be great 2-players: Carson City, Ascendancy. We're hoping that Tinner's Trail could be adapted to 2-plyers and Endeavor too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man you are barking up the wrong tree on a lot of these....

- DominionThis does work as a two player, though it is certainly better with more. That said we almost always choose a differnt two player game over this.

- Age of empires III: No. We also play this two player but we adapted a ghost player for when we do. It is also long. This is not the game you are looking for, though it is a great game.

- Warrior Knights: No. This is a terribly long game.

- Rune wars: No. This is also a pretty long, complex game. It also probably plays best with three.

- Small world: This would be a good choice to fit your criteria.

- Warhammer invasion We only got one play on this and it is one of those games that thakes a few plays to figure out if you like it or not. We may or may not play it again.

-Kingsburg My wife really likes Kingsburg. There is less luck factor that people give it credit for. We do play with a ghost player when it is just the two of us though so that all the spaces are not available to us.

Our favorite two-player hit list: (meaning both players like a lot)

Dracula

2 De Mayo

Arena Roma

Day and Night

Also good are:

1960: Making of the President

Twilight Struggle

Witch of Salem and Pandemic
if you like co-op games.

Dungeon Lords works fine two player. Carson City much less so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Each game page has recommendations for number of players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should consider 2 player specific games as opposed to the games that have caught your eye.
There's a whole line of two player games made by KOSMOS. You can get two or three of them for the price of one larger multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on play with my eldest daughter, I'd suggest these as your best bets:

Mr. Jack
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World, Memoir 44',

and one other game for that Risk-type feel, and that can support a few more
people (in case people come over) but that is easy to play is
Dust.

IMHO, far superior to Risk and Axis & Allies, however easy rules and victory
point wins (can be set lower for a quicker game).

Oh, and I'll second the recommendations for Mr. Jack. Everyone should have a
copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rovaniemi
msg tools
And what about: Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage

Seems to me interesting with ok depth and replayability. Maybe to heavy dont know. Seems though as a "better RISK" to me.

EDIT: The reason i checked into this game was yeasterdays discussion about "It would be nice to have a map or board to move around on"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peXmo wrote:

- Rune wars: Well basically on the list as we are trying to find a RISK that has more to it, and still is not to complex. Seems expensive though.

for this category, my personal recommendation is Nexus Ops. It's OOP though, but there's quite a lot of stock in my local stores. heard that it's not hard to find in US anyway. in any case, this game is basically a much better version of risk that play fast and works well with 2 to 4. something to consider for u

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa
and
San Juan

are both good for 2,3 and 4 four players.

Goa has the auction phase where you will interact.

In San Juan each move is likely to have some affect on the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To scratch your RISK itch, I hear Dust is the way to go. I have dust and it looks cool, but I've yet to play it.

Even cooler looking is Magnifico. Check that out! I wish I had that.

I also second Mr Jack. Perfect two player game. I reluctantly tried it and was converted to a believer instantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kingsburg - My wife and I really like this game - Directions for the 2 player game states that you roll a set of die before rolling yours, to block out random spaces. Substitutes as having another player or two.

A little more interaction than a game like Dominion. You really have to keep an eye on what die numbers your opponent rolled and order your placement accordingly. Decisions can become challenging/difficult with wanting to take certain spaces without getting blocked by your opponent. Also it gets pretty tense around Winter Attack time. You have to remember to build up your defenses along with everything else.

Although, the expansion To Forge a Realm becomes a "must have" if you end up liking the game. The best additions it comes with are extra building sheets and some numbered tokens that represent the troops the King sends in winter (Winter becomes a lot less random.)

My only other thought is that this game is significantly different than the others on your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
Even cooler looking is Magnifico. Check that out! I wish I had that.

I'm a Dust fan too, and thought the exact same thing. Bought it, played it, concluded Dust is a much better game, even though I strongly prefer Magnifico's theme. Try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion - Plays absolutely great with 2 players. My wife and I's favorite game right now.

Memoir 44/Battlelore - Haven't played Battlelore but Memoir 44 is also a great 2 player game with lots of expansions and scenarios to explore.

Age of Empires III - My buddy and I have played a couple 2 player games and really enjoyed them. This is a meatier game than the others I am commenting on.

Small World - Has a board designed for 2 player. It's a good game and it plays just fine 2 player...better with more though of course.

Kingsburg - Plays great with 2, it's in my wife's top 5..

I also recommend:

Through the Ages - This civ games works outstandingly as a 2 player game but is fairly heavy.

Alhambra - works great as a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list your best 2-player pick would be Dominion...although I feel like this game lacks in player interaction, in fact it almost feels solitaire-esk...

Most games I purchase I play with only two, so some games I'd recommend with good player interaction my girlfriend and I enjoy would be -

These are good on theme and play between 45 - 1 1/2 hours. Price tag is a little higher, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Stone Age
At the Gates of Loyang
Pandemic
Thebes

These are great under an hour games plus they all cost less than 20 bucks online! Traders of Carthage is a personal favorite, I highly recommend it!
Aton
Battle Line
Traders of Osaka

Good luck!

- B.Enders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.