Warhammer: Invasion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Concise review of Warhammer: Invasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
The ravenous forces of Destruction are once again tearing through the lands.
Pillaging and burning everything that crosses their path!
If the defenders of Order fail, the old world will fall into chaos.

This is the setting for FFG’s new living card game Warhammer: Invasion, but is it a thrilling struggle for survival and dominance, or does it fall short of its promises.

Basic Gameplay

There are four armies in Warhammer: Invasion;

The brutal Orcs
The tough Dwarfs
The vigorous Chaos
The agile Empire

You play as the ruler of one of these kingdoms. You have to defend your borders from relentless attacks, while preparing your capital for war. With the ultimate goal of overrunning your enemies and setting their capital ablaze.

You achieve this by managing the supply of wealth in the Kingdom Zone, the training of troops and other expertise in the Quest Zone, and the deployment of your attacking force on the Battlefield.

In the essence the battles are fierce and there are plenty of them, leaving little to be asked for. There are a lot of subtle nuances to the game that makes for an ever-changing battlefield, forcing you to try new tactics. And the possibility of unorthodox and unexpected actions can quickly sway a near defeat into a glorious victory.
That is, if you play your cards right.

Value

The quality of the content of this game is remarkably good, with great art and an easy layout.
However everything isn’t perfect, the rules are a bit too vague, and the original inside of the box is of poor quality and is not well suited for storing cards.

Conclusion

Warhammer: Invasion is masterfully designed, with a quick and interesting game play. And the battle packs introducing new cards to the game is sure to keep you planning your next grand Invasion for months.

Which can lead to some sleepless nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lukac
United States
McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concise review for sure. I wanted very much to like it, as I have played both 40k and Fantasy tabletop in the past. Love the world and theme, but am disillusioned with Games Workshop in general over the past couple of years. Just because they managed to sell their product to another publisher, doesn't mean the produxt is any better. I tried this a couple of times, even got two of the booster packs to try and make it more to my liking, and just didn't enjoy it. The army that got out their units first and managed to get a few of the opponents units removed, generally won, no matter what cards were played. Chaos units are too costly to get out quickly, and even the dark elves as support are too expensive with the added support requirement of not being of the current faction. Fans of Warhammer may well like it just for the world feel, and dark art and classic race battles, but I don't think the casual gamers will enjoy it much at all.

Just don't think there's enough meat in here to bring me back. That said, I enjoyed the art and quality of the components, and thought the rules were sufficient for the first play or two with just the base cards. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hehe,
oddly I am about the exact opposite of what you are describing
I'm not a warhammer fan, but I love the art from GW.
I'm a casual gamer to say the least, only play about once a week with friends, this is the second none main-stream game i've bought, and it was the quality of -and art on the pieces that winned me over in the end.
I like games like Puerto Rico very much, but the quality of the pieces are a big let down.

First time playing with chaos my opponent had a crushing defeat in just a few turns, I had good luck with cards and managed to by-pass his defenses with strategic use of corruption.

Off topic: I've heard about the C & D letters from GW, it's one of the most ridicolous things i've read. But I'm reviewing the game not the publisher or IP holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Jason just didn't really get a chance to do more than scratch the surface. I've definitely seen plenty of depth in this game and I've seen plenty of comebacks from people who didn't get their Units out first and/or had their Units removed. There's plenty going on here, you just need to dig a bit deeper.

Superb game and the ratings that are consistently climbing for this fantastically fun game reveal that plenty of people out there think as much, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
jlukac wrote:
Just because they managed to sell their product to another publisher, doesn't mean the produxt is any better.

GW didn't sell this game to FFG, the IP belongs to GW which has been licensed to FFG.

The designer, Eric Lang, has produced another game that is both easily accessible (in a large part due to the excellent tutorial available on the FFG website) and has depth.

On a side note, playing with the contents of only one core set, Chaos wins the vast majority of its games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is funny, because that same statement has been made about every race so far. Sounds pretty balanced to me.

As to the win going to whoever gets the most units afield first... sounds like two people are playing this game following strategies from other games. If you were playing Orcs I'd agree, but Dwarfs? Their best cards are damage healers or units with Toughness. Chaos is really about sniping and corruption not sheer numbers. Empire plays with a handful of units jumping from zone to zone able to double and some times triple duty. If it really is boiling down to who gets the most units into the battlefield one or more of the races is not being played to its maximum effectiveness, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.