Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This review of our game, Quick Six, was written by Ian of GamersUniversity.com. It hasn't been posted up there quite yet, but it has been posted on The Game Crafter's site. Here it is:

Overview
Quick Six is a fast-paced dice game where, at it's core, the objective is to roll 6 of a kind (while saving matching dice) in as few rolls as possible. Unlike most other Dice games, like Yahtzee, Quick Six is played with eight-sided dice, which adds to the difficulty. But, to make it easier, each player is given a special "Occupation" abilities to help them achieve six-of-a-kind such as the power to add dice together, or distribute the value of one dice onto one or more others, and so on. Whoever gets their six-of-a-kind in the fewest amount of rolls each round gets the most points for that round, and whoever has the most points at the end of the allotted number of rounds is the winner.

Rulebook
The rulebook is currently under revision due to some inconsistencies and confusing wording that I have already discussed with the author and are in the process of being fixed. The game is difficult to understand with the current rules, but the game really is quite simple and once you understand it you'll see how easy it is. It's not a catastrophic obstacle. The reference cards included are very helpful though.

Art
Art isn't a very important aspect of Quick Six. Like Yahtzee, there is little more to the game than dice and a scorecard. Quick Six does have the Occupation cards, which are average looking but serve their purpose perfectly. They are clearly color coded and quite legible. Nothing wrong here.

What Quick-Six is/isn't
In my opinion, Quick Six is an ideal game to take with you on road trips. It's lightweight, the rules are easy to remember once you understand them, and it would play perfectly on hotel room coffee tables. Quick-Six would also be an excellent way to help children learn some elementary mathematics skills. The Adder, Subtractor, and Distributor Occupations (among others) are a great method to help teach the nature of numbers and turning learning into a game always makes it more effective. I don't know if I would make this my first pick with my usual weekend game group, but the utility of Quick Six makes up for it. Although, it might make a fantastic drinking game (but you didn't hear that from me)

What could be better?
A scorepad would be excellent. I know TheGameCrafter isn't quite equipped for that yet, but a PDF of a blank scoring sheet with some helpful notes would be helpful. Other than that, Quick Six has everything it needs to be fun.

Final Word
I'm a fan of Yahtzee and other dice games like "Ship Captain and Crew" so naturally, I enjoyed this very much. With a revised rulebook, this is an easy 4/5 star game. Even though the game is labeled ages 12+ (by law) give it a shot with your 1st-through-4th grade kids, it's excellent, fun math practice. And, at $12, it's not a huge risk to give it a chance. I had fun!

[The Author has graciously donated a copy of his game, Quick Six, for the purposes of this review. Thank you very much! We had a lot of fun, and I appreciate your patience during the crazy holiday season! If anyone else would like to have his or her game reviewed and advertised for free on our website, please feel free to send me a message on TGC or email me through the link in my profile!]

I think it was a very solid review and did point out some of the weaker points of the game while highlighting the strong ones. It was very fair and Ian was great to work with. The only thing I'll mention is you could use the Excel score sheet file available for free on Quick Six's main page and print that out to use as a scorecard. If you get a few minutes, stop by his site (www.gamersuniversity.com) as he covers all kinds of game-related topics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.