Popular Tags: [View All]
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the starter set bought WoD, AoD and RtL and sorted all the chits to tackle boxes, combined decks, sorted terrain pieces and sat down to play our first game last night.

We had a blast but I was almost overwhelmed with trying to organize and access all the items in a quick and orderly fashion. You know, trying to keep downtime to a minimum.

I mean, you've got a plethora of decks to draw from. Maps to assemble. Its seems endless.

Not complaining, I love the infinite chits and stuff just wondering if you have any suggestions or pics of your Overlord setup.

I'm considering building a rack/mini-shelf unit just for this game. Sounds nuts huh? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you jumped in the deep end! Playing your first ever game of Descent with 3 expansions. Glad you enjoyed it.
I am struggling with the same problem as you, though, and would be delighted to hear from our fellow geeks who might have solutions to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What possesses you guys to play expansions for massive games before you're familiar with the base game? I never stop being surprised by this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mmoberly wrote:
What possesses you guys to play expansions for massive games before you're familiar with the base game?

Youthful enthusiasm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things, and one of these days I'm going to take a picture of how I do it:

Decks, I line up each deck next to the overland map, with the exception of the Monsters and Overlord cards. At the top I have the Rumor, Encounter, Location, and Dungeon decks. Along the side of the map, I have the Treasure decks, the Store deck, the Tamalir Upgrades, and everything else. This is all on one side of the table.

On the other side of the table, I have all the Overlord stuff. The OL deck and uprades, the Monster cards (which I leave in a stack until that monster appears in the dungeon, then draw that one card and lay it next to the dungeon, restacking at end of said dungeon). I have 2 bit-boxes as I call them (those craft boxes to hold all the chits). The coffin game box for the tiles, and all the other expansion boxes hold all the monster mini's (I've put foam in the boxes and cut out spaces for every mini in the game).

Good thing we play on a large table

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
A few things, and one of these days I'm going to take a picture of how I do it.

I would like to see that picture.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the base game for Christmas and played it 5 or 6 times before leaping to RtL. I heard so much about it I couldn't resist.

And of course I couldn't do it watered down. I needed the 2 previous expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a bag of rubber bands for the card decks and a box of ziplock baggies for the various counters. We use a half-dozen bowls for holding the counters during play, and for set up we just pour the contents of the baggies into the bowls. It takes one person about 15 minutes to set up, all told.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the cards I use business card holders. These are plastic stands that hold 8 sets of cards each. I found a picture online here:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-8-Pocket-Business-Card-Holder...

I use them for Descent and Arkham Horror. They really help organize the table and reduce the space needed during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:
I bought a bag of rubber bands for the card decks...

Be careful using Rubber bands,they degrade over time and can stick to cards discoloring and marking them. Pony Tail hair bands are WAY better, totally clean.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oo, good point. The bands I've used tend to break before fading the card, though I've had some really old ones stick to the cards. Usually, the probably with banding is the small crease it puts on the top and bottom card of the deck...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, bands have that effect sometimes, for some decks I just plop them in a ziploc bag to prevent that. I have heard that the Plano 3600 adjustable tackle box is a great fit to hold Descent pieces. I just ordered mine this week, so I can't say personally if it's true or not. They were about $3.15 a piece plus shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use zip bags for my cards, because I hate the marks rubber bands make, and their degradation over time. For Descent cards, I also use the card inlay from the original box (I think?), that cardboard half-box thing.

Same thing for all the tokens, I have them all in zip bags and then make neat piles on the table from that. I also use five boxes total for storing components in, so I will be able to just place these near the table and have everything handy. Reduces setup time quite a bit.

This is what it looks like:

As for the bagged tokens, they're bagged both by type and by regularity of use. For example, I have one bag with rocks and water and pits, and another bag with all the other floor bits (mud, fog, corrupted spaces, etc.). This means that often, I can leave entire bags untouched and only have to take them out when I really use those things.

Admittedly, plano boxes or the likes would likely work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.