Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am coming off a game yesterday that had the following question arise.

I,as the US,played "Containment" as my headline thereby raising the OPS of my cards by 1.

My opponent then played a US card for points, "CIA Created", which triggered the US event which allowed me to take an action "as if I had played a 1 OPS card".

Does Containment now make it "as if I had played a 2 OPS card"? Or does it remain 1 OPS since it was not an actual card played out of my hand? It's a bit confusing since no card is actually played, but it would seem that I would get 2 OPS points on the surface. That's how we played it as it seems like most answers to TS rules questions can be answered by the most obvious solution. I just wanted to tap into the more experienced players for a ruling.

*EDITED the Subject for easier searching in the future, if needed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Re: "Containment" Interactivity Question
"played by the US this turn" is the key phrase in Containment's card text.

so, no I think.

see immediately below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
"played by the US this turn" is the key phrase in Containment's card text.

so, no I think.

Correct. It only applies to cards the US player played during his or her phase.

Incorrect! Learn something new every day...

From the Collected Rulings:

Quote:
If played by the USSR for Ops, the US player conducts Operations using the Operations value the card would have had if the US player had played it, without regard to the Operations value the USSR received for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Correct. It only applies to cards the US player played during his or her phase.

Great, thanks! So can I adopt this as the general rule for Containment?

The bonus only applies to the 8 cards in the US players hand, not to the the bonuses or events created through the 8 cards in the USSR player's hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key here is in the wording of CIA Created (Which I think is the second card involved.) It says the US may perform operations using the ops value of this card. Since the USSR played the card, the ops value of that card is 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kitt
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, that's not correct - the US gets two ops in this situation. I think this is what rule 7.4.3 is trying to clarify. It doesn't help that this combo doesn't seem to be in the FAQ.

Here is a post on Consimworld (by Daniel Blumentritt) with this interpretation. The next message is from Jason Matthews confirming it is correct:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@126.oX81amDGMH8.144@.1dc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
JAKitt wrote:
Actually, that's not correct - the US gets two ops in this situation. I think this is what rule 7.4.3 is trying to clarify. It doesn't help that this combo doesn't seem to be in the FAQ.

Here is a post on Consimworld (by Daniel Blumentritt) with this interpretation. The next message is from Jason Matthews confirming it is correct:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@126.oX81amDGMH8.144@.1dc...

Exactly. When it says "as if [the US player] had played it" when talking about events for the opponent it means as if that person had played it himself. In that case, it would become a 2 OPs card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed and edited above. Thanks for the correction guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I came back to confirm that it was, in fact, "CIA Created" that was the second card in question.

Thanks for the official answer and the research. I was not aware of the collected rulings. Bookmarked for sure.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.