Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I won this game in a geekgold auction in november and just played this game for the first time. While my impressions of the game seemed good I am unsure.

I played vulca and my friend played hoax for 3 games.

It seemed like there were few meaningfull choices to make in the game. Sure you get to choose your character during each turn and to play a booster or not but it seems that the system reduces your choices to this one or this one or go big and possibly end it.

More than a few times the hoax player had to retreat due to having no characters in their hand.

Overall the game seemed good but it felt like it played itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest choice to make each turn is whether or not to continue fighting. This is not a trivial decision. You can choose to invest more in the current fight, but if you lose that is far worse than had you just retreated in the first place. There are instances where you would want to continue fighting despite thinking you won't win, but then it is also a meaningful decision based on the state of the game and the cards in your hand.

The situation you describe where the Hoax player had to retreat due to having no characters is a situation that can arise when you don't consider the possibility of retreating despite being able to continue in the short-term. If I'm down to only one Character in my hand I'm likely to consider retreating right away and then discarding some less useful cards to rebuild my strength.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also... what is the purpose of the leader of the race card.. it has a lighter back than the rest. Is this for random selection of race by making them into a different race selection deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Also... what is the purpose of the leader of the race card.. it has a lighter back than the rest. Is this for random selection of race by making them into a different race selection deck?

It's primary function is when you're customizing decks. The leader you choose determines which cards you can have in your deck at no moon cost (any card that's of the same people as the leader) and which cards have a moon cost to add (everything else). You're allowed 10 moons worth of "outside" cards in your deck when customizing (unless you're using inquisitors, which modify the deck customization rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
does the leader count as part of the 30 card deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The leader card isn't essential, but it's part of setting things up nicely. As noted, it provides the people, the number of moons, somewhere to put an Emissary or Inquisitor that modifies the leader, and leadership cards. And as the game was printed on sheets that allowed 32 cards per deck, the leader essentially came for free. (In the base set the 32nd card is the icon summary.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.