Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had my friend Adam over last night to play Descent. He'd never played Descent before or anything like it. Although I own all of the expansions, I decided to try and break him into it gently.

I went over to FFG's website and downloaded the fan made scenario "The Rescue" (if you haven't been over there to look at the fan-made scenarios you should, some of them are quite good). It's a short scenario, designed to be a fast, fun introduction to the game. It
worked beatifully. I setup the game before he arrived, giving him two characters, Bogran the Shadow and One-Fist with skills and shop equipment I hand-picked for him. After a brief rules explanation we were off! I was playing as the overlord, but only drawing 1 card per
turn to give him a break on his first game.

He gingerly set off down the corridor, and soon came to his first room which contained a Master Hell Hound and a Silver chest. Soon we were in the thick of things, fighting back and forth with one another across all the rooms. He rescued the child, and beat a retreat back out of the dungeon with her, all without dying once (he did come very close with Bogran several times, but there were liberal amounts of healing potions available and Bogran had the "Tough" skill)! He enjoyed it and asked to play again.

I let him choose his characters while setting up Into the Dark from the base game. He took Brother Glyr and Verikas the Dead. His skills were randomly drawn this time, and he choose his own shop equipment. Glyr found the Cursed Copper Shield in the first chest (blocks 2 wounds, even those that can't be stopped by armor, plus grants 5 armor vs. AoE attacks), and Verikas had the Tough skill card again. This meant that both of them were VERY hard to kill. I was still only drawing 1 card per turn and taking it a bit easy on him.

In the end, he died once each with both Verikas and Glyr for 9 conquest (due to Glyr's curse). At the end when the boss finally died, Verikas was down to 1 wound, and Glyr 3 wounds, both near death. Even if they had both died though, he still had enough conquest to bring them back and keep going. They both probably would've died had it not been for
several very fortunate rolls for him (misses by me, rolling misses with bleed tokens, etc.)

The boss battle was actually rather epic, me having saved several cards for it, including a mimic for the chest. With silver weapons his guys managed to take the boss down, but it wasn't easy. Though they dispatched the manticores rather quickly, the boss gave them no
little amount of trouble. Had it not been for their insane amounts of armor and Glyr's awesome shield they would've died a lot more. In the end though, it led to a statisfied victory for Adam .

All told we played for about 4 hrs and 15 minutes. The first quest took a little over an hour, then there was probably a 1 hr break for food and drink, plus setup time of the next quest. The 2nd quest then lasted about 2 hrs exactly. He really enjoyed it, and is looking forward to the next time we can play (which should be with more people, all who've played Descent). I may even start a RtL campagin with them.

I would HIGHLY recomend "The Rescue" quest if you're going to teach the game to beginers (although Into the Dark is nice to, its just much bigger). I would also really encourage you to hand pick their characters, skills and equipment for them before hand and have it all setup. It will make the game flow much quicker and allow them to jump into the action, rather than having to make decisions they know nothing about. Also, I'd recomend playing without feats\treachery for their first game, introduce things just a bit at a time. All in all, hopefully I've made a convert .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, well done on spreading the infection!
And I second what you say about The Rescue, it makes for a brilliant introductory scenario.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sams
United States
Georgetown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I need to set up The Rescue tonight then for I have some friends coming over for a game night. Most of which are rpg gammers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, be careful though, my mate came over last night and we played this scenario twice through (I thought he'd beat it on the second time) and due to some horrendous luck on his behalf I managed to pulverise his heroes twice over.

So it can still be a challenging quest if you don't pull any punches!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I setup the game before he arrived, giving him two characters, Bogran the Shadow and One-Fist with skills and shop equipment I hand-picked for him

What equipment did you find best suited for a beginner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quick answer?

Melee heroes should buy an Axe (In a 2 hero game Sword & Shield may be preferable).
Magic Users should start with Immolation. (Mage Staff may be viable if you have extra damage from skills/abilities).
Ranged heroes should start with the Crossbow (Never use a bow - the best alternative is 2 shields and no weapon!)
Everyone should start with at least 1 Fatigue Potion.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/293679/hero-strategy-sho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
One of his characters was One Fist whom I gave a sword and Chainmail, the other was Bogran the Shadow who I gave Leather Armor, Crossbow, and Shield to. One Fist then bought 2 Vitality potions and Bogran got 1 for himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Often your equipment choices will be different depending on what Skills you draw for each Hero. But that setup sounds pretty optimal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.