Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gang,

So I organized, planned, and kicked off what now seems to be a successful gaming group! I have a few games in hand, but have the opportunity to add to the list this week. Hey the wife got a coach purse, so I deserve game-reparations!

Reality is that this game wont be played for a number of sessions, but I am looking to add to the future mix, and possibly something different. The crew seems to be more about war/conflict games. So long as the new game has some conflict it should be a solid choice.

What we are currently playing:
- Axis & Allies (Gamemaster edition)
- Wings of War: Dawn of Wolrd War II (we mix this in after a big game of A&A)

What is on the list next from what I own (and probably in this order):
- Age of Empires 3
- Conquest of the Empire
- Eve: Conquest

So here are some of the games I am looking at picking up. The only real rules are that there should be some form of conflict or at least competitive, playtime under 4 hours (for now), accommodate at up to 4 players at least, cost under $50 and I would like to have something that is a bit different from the games listed above...

So give me your thoughts on games from this list, or make other reccs:
- Galactic Emperor
- Ad Astra
- Arkham Horror
- Cosmic Encounter
- Doom
- Dust
- Game of Thrones Board Game
- Warrior Knights

Thanks in advance for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you go for Warrior Knights, make sure you pick up the expansion as it fixes some of the little problems the base game had plus adds some nice variation as well.

I would also recommend

Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game

and

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh and I totally forgot "Chaos of the Old World"...that seems to fit all the criteria as well...

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and like Ad Astra, A Game of Thrones and Cosmic Encounter, so I'll comment on those.

I was blown away by A Game of Thrones the first time I played it. Having played twice that day, I spent nearly 8 hours, but did not feel bored for a second. This game is awesome. The bidding system really gives the game an epic feel. Every time it comes to a bid in the game, you know major shifts are going to happen. Now I've only played it with three, so with five it would only be better. This is the major downside to the game by the way. It is best played with five, and I'm having difficulties getting a group together that has the time and the interest to play it.

Ad Astra can be described as a mix between Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico. It has some very original mechanis and components and a nice sci-fi theme. There are plenty of viable strategies to pursue.

Cosmic Encounter is a classic. It's unique, full of humour and mindgames and simply, a fantastic game. You have to be able to handle chaos though. This is not a game where you plot a strategy and carefully bring it to fruition. You try to make the best of it and enjoy the experience. Another huge plus in my view is the fact that it is highly customizable to suit your liking. Dual powers, blind powers, technology, no technology, flare cards, 50 different aliens... oh, and an expansion has just been released which adds even more. If you don't buy this game now, at least do it some other time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Couple of games come to mind.....

Shogun - conflict but also a good game with some unique mechanics.

Bootleggers - Fighting it out over speakeasys in the roaring 20s.

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition - Haven't played but it seems to be the sort of game your group might like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot though others say Battlestar Galactica plays similar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I am slowly working us up to Twilight Imperium for sometime in the future. For now it will be too complex and play time potentially too long. But that is definitely a goal of mine.

For now I am trying to add games that we will play that either bring something new to the table (gameplay mechanics/theme/style/interaction) while still keeping the conflict.

I can already tell overall the group will enjoy conflict/competition games the most. But at some point I may throw a Runebound or something in there just to mix it us and see where we all fall.

The group is pliable, and I intend on testing us. But for now and a number of sessions in the future, I want to be building upon the previous session as far as experience goes. Play each game a few times, mix in a light game if possible, then move on to another game with a few sessions. After playing a number of different games I should have a clear picture of what folks are leaning towards.

Consider me the "Director of Fun" for the group. it was my idea to get us together in the first place, and it will be my un-appointed job to see where we can go. For now I am happy to pick up a few games that help us stretch our boundaries...even if it means that at some point it may never make it back to the table after a few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum
Antike

Or, maybe even Struggle of Empires
(with 7, you will be pushing the 4 hour mark on your first play or two, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Shogun is an excellent game but I'll add my usual caveat:

It's not primarily a fighting game, it's mostly an economic resource management game. You can attack but it may well hurt you. In any case, it's definitely not a "conquer the board in a quick sweep of victory" type game. It's a long game, 3-4 hours. And it's a pretty "heavy" game, fairly complex to learn if your group isn't used to euro-games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is definitely different from what you have now. I like it a lot, but it's not for everyone.

+1 for Antike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is much different and doesn't feature conflict with other players. If you don't mind playing against the board it's a great game. Just make sure you really read the rules and possibly play a few solo games to get the hang of the mechanics before you unleash it on the group.

Cosmic Encounter is an insane game that is really lively. The alien powers are really unique and make each game completely different. I highly recommend it.

War on Terror - You haven't listed this one, but for a direct conflict game it's a hoot. It's has some really nice mechanics and the theme is just a riot. It's easy to pick up and everyone I've introduced it to has enjoyed it.

Good Luck!

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial 2030
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players in your group? Or how many would you expect to play on average?

An updated version of A&A could be an idea.

Conquest of the Empire perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say get all the ones you mentioned, including Chaos in the Old World. They are all good games (though I haven't played Ad Astra), and as long as the group is made up of good people I'd say you'll have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World gets my vote and I would warn you to stay away from Ad Astra. I picked up both games at the same time and I was really looking forward to liking Ad Astra but the mechanics are quite bland and player interaction is limited whereas CitOW has a tonne of player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Another vote for Antike and Cosmic Encounter. Antike is a Civ game, so expect "sweeping strategy" rather than tactical manoeuvre. Cosmic can vary enormously from game to game and has great replayability.

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is also going to work well. It comes with pieces for 5 players only, although if you can get additional pieces it will work with 6. There is going to be an expansion this year (I hope).

Shogun is a good suggestion, but conflict is a costly strategy. This may not be obvious immediately, consequently it is easy to play badly at first and be unsatisfied. I don't recall any game longer than 3 hours!

Have you considered Imperial? It is a stock-handling game with warfare. A tough game strategically, the rules are simple enough and there is little downtime. Be warned that it is possible to be without any countries to control for a long period- this bores some people (it isn't necessarily a bad position strategically - Imperial is a different game).

Otherwise, how about Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game? The theme is excellent and perfectly integrated. Components are top quality. Modular boards, scenarios and different characters guarantee variety.

Enjoy!

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into these. My main group is conflict heavy and they like all of these.

RoboRally (especially if you play capture the flag)
Viktory II
Dust
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the comments.

I still like the idea of Ad Astra...but maybe i wait a while on that. Cosmic encounter sounds like an interesting prospect though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.