Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh*

First off, I never ever want to ship anything internationally again. Ever.

So I first shipped the package off in early January in a flat-rate box and everything was great. Well, no, not really. It came back with some weird customs declaration thing that nobody at the post office could explain. Oh and that shipping you paid to get this to Australia? Yeah, we're keeping that.

Okay, I repack it and itemize EVERYTHING and it's exact weight on these stupid forms and return to the post office today.

Post monkey: We won't ship that.
Me: Why not?
PM: It rattles.
Me: That would be the Mike & Ikes.
PM: The what?
Me: It's just candy. It should be fine with the Aussie customs, I checked.
PM: We won't ship it.
Post Monkey #2: Well, we can but we can't use the flat rate box. We have to charge you (more than twice as much) and you need to re-pack it and fill out this (much larger and more complex) form.
Me: *takes package without giving into all-consuming rage* Thank you.

So, now we move on to plan Delta. It will fit into an envelope and I will consider pooping on the steps of the post office.

What makes it funnier is my Bob came from Australia and was a shopping bag stuffed in a big shipping envelope with only a vague idea of what was inside on the customs form (Thanks Shebby) and that seemed to have gotten around the world without issue. I carefully packed and itemized mine making certain to keep under a specific weight and verified against US and Australian customs and I can't get the damn thing out of Michigan.

So my Bob is:
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb

She's been updated and has been super-patient about this and will be getting something hand-made and not to be spoken of in the confines of chit chat. It will fit into an envelope and the USPS can bite me.

Oh yes, there will be Bob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Speaking as a Bob. I've shipped stuff all over the world (albeit, no Mike and Ikes) and only had a few troubles.

There's 2 things to keep in mind:

1) Lie on the custom's form*. Not a big lie, just a "Oh, I didn't understand what that meant" lie. Be vague on the content description: "Gifts", "Packing Supplies", "Cards". Also, never declare for more than $20. What is a thing really worth anyway? You might have spent $30 on it but now it's used, you could probably only get $16 for it now.

2) People who work at the post office don't know WTF they're doing. I've been told: "You have to fill out this form this way to ship a package this size". Two days later, same post office, same box, I show up with the forms all filled out. "You don't need to fill this stuff out for packages under blah blah blah". Both boxes went through just fine. If you don't like what you're told just go to a different post office or come back at a different time.

*DISCLAIMER: LYING ON YOUR CUSTOMS FORM IS PROBABLY A CRIME THAT WILL PUT YOU IN PMITA PRISON. ALL ILL GIVEN ADVICE IN THIS POST SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED AND IS INCLUDED HERE FOR TEH LULZ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
People who work at the post office don't know WTF they're doing.

Glad to see it's not just a local thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaahh nnoooo! Aaahh nnoooo!
Teh price of living down under.

Do you post to the land down under?
Where customs will
steal all your plunder...
Scratch your head, scratch your head
in wonder...
Fill in this form, fill in another...

Not that it's likely to be any consolation, but I bent the truth on my customs form - I called the Tim Tams "chocolate" because we're not allowed to ship anything containing wheat to the USA ("What, they're choccie bikkies, no wheat in there..."). And some of the other things I would have liked to send I couldn't.

Edit: The customs declaration forms were completely different for surface mail, regular air mail, and air express. The surface mail ones require very little description, the air mail ones a lot more, and the express ones an exact description of every item. But surface mail can take two months to get where it's going...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
But surface mail can take two months to get where it's going...

Naturally. The ships have to wait for fair weather to make 'round the cape. And the men are apt to mutiny if they don't get their ration of rum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'M RIGHT HERE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, did you hear something???

...nah, must've been my imagination. But I swear, sometimes I think I can still hear Bob... like he's here with us, in spirit, at least....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'M RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.