Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Details here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/484932/uk-bolton-all-day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
So you post this thread to just to have people go look at some other thread? You're English doesn't make any sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 'your' english not 'you're' english if you want to get down to punctuation mr yankee doodle dandy.

I for one will be trying to get down from the Lake District...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
It's 'your' english not 'you're' english if you want to get down to punctuation mr yankee doodle dandy.
He he he, you see, I am not the only grammar nazi round here Jonathan.

willsargent wrote:
Goodoh, look forward to meeting you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
willsargent wrote:

Sorry. English isn't my first language. I just happen to be living in the America. What is a "yankee doodle dandy?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
willsargent wrote:

Sorry. English isn't my first language. I just happen to be living in the America. What is a "yankee doodle dandy?"

Google is your friend. From "Yankee Doodle" @ wiki:

Quote:
The first verse and refrain, as often sung today, runs:

Yankee Doodle went to town,
A-Riding on a pony;
He stuck a feather in his cap,
And called it macaroni.

The song's origin is unclear. Traditions place its origin in a pre-Revolutionary War song originally by British military officers to mock the disheveled, disorganized colonial "Yankees" with whom they served in the French and Indian War. It is believed that the tune comes from the nursery rhyme Lucy Locket.

As a term Doodle first appeared in the early seventeenth century, and is thought to derive from the Low German dudel or dödel, meaning "fool" or "simpleton". The Macaroni wig was an extreme fashion in the 1770s and became contemporary slang for foppishness. The implication of the verse was therefore probably that the Yankees were so unsophisticated that they thought simply sticking a feather in a cap would make them the height of fashion.

and

Quote:
Dandy

A dandy] (also known as a beau, or gallant) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self. Historically, especially in late 18th- and early 19th-century Britain, a dandy, who was self-made, often strove to imitate an aristocratic style of life despite coming from a middle-class background.

Basically, it's an insult. Or, an appropriate riposte to your calling out of his grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaps. Before we come to fisticuffs over this. In his first post Jonathan was making fun of me (as he and I are wont to do). In his second, he was making fun of Will for pointing out his syntactical error. I suspect he knows full well what a Yankee Doodle is though, to be fair, English is indeed not Jonathan's first language, his first language is American.

Now back to the games if you please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Who is this Google?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Who is this Google?
According to Tim he is your friend. You don't have that many that you can afford to forget one. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame KSensei.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Who is this Google?

Well, according to Google... Wait a second, my browser just went into an infinite loop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
What are fisticuffs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
What are fisticuffs?
Ask Jonathan's friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Today I am identifying as a Mushroom.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.