Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in the newly-released Vassal module (which looks fabulous, by the way!) that the generals' actual battle ratings have been modified to be somewhat less random, as follows:

Roll die.
* 1-3: Half battle rating or # of troops on your side in combat, whichever is less
* 4-6: Full battle rating or # of troops on your side in combat, whichever is less

I have a quick question. Is it ever possible to have 6 troops in battle?

The only General that this question applies to is Gen Howe, since he is the only general with a Battle Rating of 6.

If Gen Howe attacks someone, I think he is only allowed to take a maximum of 5 troops with him, if my understanding is correct, so he would never receive a battle rating of 6 as an attacker. (The English cannot intercept, only the Americans.)

The questions that I have are what happens if Howe is defending and there are X British Combat Units on Howe's space where X > 5, and the die roll for Actual Battle Rating is 4-6?

* Does Howe get a Combat Rating of 6, since there are 6+ units on his space?
* Or does Howe get a Combat Rating of 5, since only 5 units can be commanded by a single general?
* Or am I misunderstanding generals commanding units?

Are there any other circumstances where Howe would possibly get an actual battle rating of 6?

Fabulous game; I like this actual battle rating rule better than the previous version, and the board looks cleaner. I'm excited for Washington's birthday to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Actual Battle Rating question, and making sure I understand movement
Quote:
I have a quick question. Is it ever possible to have 6 troops in battle?

Yes, but only on the defense. There's no stacking limit in a space; only a limitation on how many CUs may move with an activated General.

When Howe is defending and has 6+ CUs, if he rolls a 1-3, his actual battle rating will be '3.' If he rolls a 4-6 he will get a battle rating of 6. The effect is that Howe is more dangerous on the defense.

Quote:
Are there any other circumstances where Howe would possibly get an actual battle rating of 6?

No. Only on defense.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Actual Battle Rating question, and making sure I understand movement
That makes sense; just wanted to make sure I understood everything correctly but that is the way I read the rules. I like the half-all better than the 1-N or 0 that was under the old VASSAL module (and presumably an earlier set of rules). You guys constantly amaze me with how much thought went into every rule! Looking forward to tonight, and looking forward even more to about a week or so from now!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.