Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: The only reason straight males will watch figure skating.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
...is the same reason they watch NASCAR: for the spectacular crashes.

And last night there were plenty. Crashes on ice, I mean. I told my wife that the couple that would win would be the first ones to complete their program without one or the other slamming into the ice, and that is exactly what happened. They had a couple of bobbles, but neither one fell, and they got the gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought it was for the flesh-colored outfits that make them look naked while they skate.

You mean they crash, sometimes, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch it only because the wife has it on when I'm in the living room....

...that and because Evgeni Plushenko is absolutely FABULOUS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
And here I thought it was for the flesh-colored outfits that make them look naked while they skate.

You mean they crash, sometimes, too?

Oh, yeah, big time. Dislocated shoulders, torn ligaments, multiple fractures -- you'd think some of them had played football, or some other real sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched it because it was on between the snowboard cross races.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
...is the same reason they watch NASCAR:

The gratuitous crotch shots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The gratuitous essential crotch shots?

Fixed that for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words...

DICK
BUTTON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
And last night there were plenty. Crashes on ice, I mean. I told my wife that the couple that would win would be the first ones to complete their program without one or the other slamming into the ice, and that is exactly what happened. They had a couple of bobbles, but neither one fell, and they got the gold.

False. The American couple skated 2 clean routines and I don't even know if they finished in the Top 10. I'll never understand how a team that has one skater fall flat on their butt receives a silver medal and one that skated well (and remained on their feet) gets nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
claymore_57 wrote:
...is the same reason they watch NASCAR:

The gratuitous crotch shots?

No, that would be the male speed skating yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Winter Olympics I try to give that "sport" a chance. And after the first couple of routines I remember why I don't care about it -it is judged either: 1) by third graders 2) through bribery or 3) by sentimental favorites.

We all knew the Chinese pair was going to win the gold before the first performance. Why don't they just have interviews to determine the winner instead and save the ice for less subjective activities?

Where is my Prime Time curling coverage?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the only ever perfect score....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
For the only ever perfect score....

Thank-you for posting that. I saw them preform the routine live about a month after the Olympics and it still impressed me. I am a former national level figure skater and can appreciate the athleticism that goes into the performances. And although I was hoping that the Canadians would have done better, I do think that the Chinese couple deserved to win. It is not always about a flawless performance.

On the other hand I think that figure skating judging on the whole sucks, it is one of the reasons I quit. Of course some of the hockey referees are no better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
...that and because Evgeni Plushenko is absolutely FABULOUS!

Johnny Weir's outfit made me ashamed to be an American. I mean really, in a sport that struggles to not be identified as gay, you come prancing out in pink ribbons and a tassel? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
...is the same reason they watch NASCAR: for the spectacular crashes.

Although I don't like the term 'straight' because it implies that there is something crooked about those to whom the label doesn't apply, my being happily married to a woman seems to make the label applicable to me. Nevertheless, I enjoy watching figure skating, but hate the crashes. And I do not enjoy watching car racing or any of those childishly violent and/or excruciatingly boring games that most Americans seem to confuse with sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Johnny Weir's outfit made me ashamed to be an American. I mean really, in a sport that struggles to not be identified as gay, you come prancing out in pink ribbons and a tassel?

Obviously, nothing is as shameful as being associated with homosexuality.

I think that the sentiment expressed in your remark is infinitely more shameful than any collection of pink ribbons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh-oh. RSP in 3... 2... 1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Johnny Weir's outfit made me ashamed to be an American. I mean really, in a sport that struggles to not be identified as gay, you come prancing out in pink ribbons and a tassel? shake

I don't know about the sport as a whole, but I guarantee you one thing...Johnny Weir would never struggle to not be identified as gay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
A conversation from last night:

J: What are you going to watch on TV?

L: Figure skating. Want to watch with me?

J: No thanks.

L: I know: if you watch figure skating, it might turn you gay.

J: It's not that I'm afraid it will turn me gay, it's that I have absolutely no interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, watching figure skating with my 5 and 6 year old daughters is fantastic (mostly because they try to imitate the moves in their socks on our wood floors). However, this year, I also really began to appreciate the abilities of the skaters. Wow!

As for the falls, I mostly find myself feeling sorry for them. After all the years of training and practice. I am especially impressed when the fall happens on the first jump and they pick themselves up and continue on with the rest of their routine, knowing the gold is gone.

All in all, I'd still rather watch hockey, though.

(And for the record, openly homosexual atheletes competing in the olympics for our country AND being treated with the same respect as heterosexual atheletes, that would definitely make me a little more proud to be an American. Hopefully, some day it will happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
claymore_57 wrote:

False. The American couple skated 2 clean routines and I don't even know if they finished in the Top 10. I'll never understand how a team that has one skater fall flat on their butt receives a silver medal and one that skated well (and remained on their feet) gets nothing.
Same thing happened in mens last night. Some 19-year-old kid skates his ass off, wowing Scott Hamilton, and in the end, he's something like 10th place. All Scott says is something about it "not being his time" yet. And that's the big problem with this non-sport. You are expected to participate for X years and then if you only fall twice, you get your gold watch medal. It's a sham and a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Boys and girls take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

Same thing happened in mens last night. Some 19-year-old kid skates his ass off, wowing Scott Hamilton, and in the end, he's something like 10th place. All Scott says is something about it "not being his time" yet. And that's the big problem with this non-sport. You are expected to participate for X years and then if you only fall twice, you get your gold watch medal. It's a sham and a shame.

That's why I have difficulty calling this a "sport": The outcome is based on both the performance and the opinion of unseen judges, not on the performance alone. The same thing applies to some of the snowboarding events.

To me sports are humans competing directly against humans in tests of skill, speed, and stamina, such as the downhill, slolam, super G, biathlon, ski jump, nordic combined, speed skating, etc. As soon as you bring in one or more judges who will use their personal opinion to decide the "ranking" and "winners" the activity has switched from a genuine sport to performance art masquerading as sport.

(I also feel the same about synchronized swimming, gymnastics, and diving in the Summer Games.)

For the record: I don't watch NASCAR or any other "motor sports" because those aren't humans competing against each other -- they are machines competing against other machines. The only human skill involved is the ability to drive at high speeds. Unless the vehicle is human powered, it's a test of who built the better machine, not who is better at running, swimming, skiing, skating, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't watch racing either (I just don't care for it) but my understanding is that the teams are working very close to the edge of what the cars are capable of. So you've got human engineers working hard to eke out a minor edge over the competition, and human drivers using their skills to either take advantage of that edge or make up for it (if the other team has it).

Either way, sounds like direct human competition. Then again, maybe this is a poor post, because I a) don't watch, and really don't know anything about it, and b) even though I think it's certainly human vs human, not sure what defines a 'sport' anymore...

(On the first one - not knowing anything useful has never stopped me from posting in the past, so I guess it won't this time, either... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a straight male, I have to say that the best thing I saw last night was the Japanese guy rocking out to Hendrix.

And he didn't crash . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.