Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following are extracts from 4 different Posts on Hidden Placement.
All Answers are from Chuck. Quite a few people have also picked up on the contradictions ,as BGG Game page Forum Summaries just shows date the thread was opened and not the date of the Last post, I think Chuck is missing some responses and new questions.

If you browse the posts it is sorted by and shows the date of the last post. Generally if Chuck hasn’t had the last word then he may have missed a response.

Chuck Please rule on the ambiguity

Q1. During Set up are initial cards placed hidden

A1. Yes, unless placed next to enemy unit cards.

Q2. In Solo games are reinforcements for player and non-player cards placed hidden

A2. Yes, unless placed next to enemy unit cards, which means most reinforcements for the non-player will probably be placed face up.

Q4. Do you really set up everything hidden ( cards face down) even in a solo game? SO, the rules are just like a 2 player game and only when there's contact do you flip the cards over?

A4. You should play it as the normal rules since cards may not be attacked unless revealed.

Up to this point it is clear , the following was posted between 2 and 4

Q3. Do the non-player cards start face-down or face-up? Very important detail when using for instance the airstrike card which can only be used against REVEALED targets?

A3. Non-player cards are shuffled and placed face down in regards to the decks. Non-player unit cards are always placed face up on the map tiles intially during set-up or when they come as reinforcements. Good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As it turns out there are two ways to play the solo scenarios in regards to faced down units.

I will have to eat some crow on this, so please forgive me.

Method One:

The way the designer (Daniel Kroegel) of the solo scenarios meant for the scenarios to be played and balanced them accordingly is the approach that all unit cards, whether they be player or non-player are ALWAYS set-up and played faced up. All units are always REVEALED and may have the appropriate action cards played on them as a result.

Method Two:

For a more challanging game, play it as in the normal game in regards to faced down unit cards since faced down units are unrevealed and may not have certain action cards played on them such as Air Strikes and Artillery Bombardment.

Unless placed next to an enemy unit, a unit card is placed faced down at set-up or when brought in as a reinforement. As units move and interact they are revealed and placed faced up when they move adjacent to the enemy or move within two map tiles of a revealed scouting unit.

A unit also becomes revealed when it uses a special ability such as scouting or moving diagonally or when it supports a combat at range. Auto dug in units immediately receive a dug in counter whenever they are revealed.

Having said that, the official rule is Method One, which is in contrast to my earlier posts for which I apologize. We will make this more clear in the next version of the errata and rulesbook. I hope this helps. Please ask if anything is still unclear.

Chuck Kroegel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckroegel wrote:
As it turns out there are two ways to play the solo scenarios in regards to faced down units.

Method One:

The way the designer (Daniel Kroegel) of the solo scenarios meant for the scenarios to be played and balanced them accordingly is the approach that all unit cards, whether they be player or non-player are ALWAYS set-up and played faced up. All units are always REVEALED and may have the appropriate action cards played on them as a result.

Method Two:

For a more challanging game, play it as in the normal game in regards to faced down unit cards since faced down units are unrevealed and may not have certain action cards played on them such as Air Strikes and Artillery Bombardment.

Unless placed next to an enemy unit, a unit card is placed faced down at set-up or when brought in as a reinforement. As units move and interact they are revealed and placed faced up when they move adjacent to the enemy or move within two map tiles of a revealed scouting unit.

A unit also becomes revealed when it uses a special ability such as scouting or moving diagonally or when it supports a combat at range. Auto dug in units immediately receive a dug in counter whenever they are revealed.

Having said that, the official rule is Method One, which is in contrast to my earlier posts for which I apologize. We will make this more clear in the next version of the errata and rulesbook. I hope this helps. Please ask if anything is still unclear.

Hey Chuck,

This helps a lot. It's indeed a good thing to offer the 2 possibilities.
The only thing that bothers me still a bit, is the "move diagonally" rule of the Waffen SS in the Metz-scenario. Do they always move vertically towards the American home-base or can you make some kind of choice. This could cause some kind of favourizing the non-player units which has to be avoided as much as possible according to me.

Chuck Kroegel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckroegel wrote:

Method One:

Method Two:

Chuck Kroegel

Hey Chuck,

This helps a lot. It's indeed a good thing to offer the 2 possibilities.
The only thing that bothers me still a bit, is the "move diagonally" rule of the Waffen SS in the Metz-scenario. Do they always move vertically towards the American home-base or can you make some kind of choice. This could cause some kind of favourizing the non-player units which has to be avoided as much as possible according to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It was designed with the intent that the Waffen SS would only move vertically forward. Good catch on that. We need to clarify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.