Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Can a company in 1800 sell its trains to the open market, or get rid of them in any way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe trains only go away due to rusting (2's rust in phase 4, 3's rust in phase 6). They can neither be sold to the open market nor purchased by another company. However, you don't have to own a train. So, you're limited to two trains until phase 6 when you get one more slot.

-Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
RaDiKal wrote:
I believe trains only go away due to rusting (2's rust in phase 4, 3's rust in phase 6). They can neither be sold to the open market nor purchased by another company. However, you don't have to own a train. So, you're limited to two trains until phase 6 when you get one more slot.

-Ron

Thanks!

Also how is the train roster with the (unpublished) 3P variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 player adds a new company and bond, expands the map just a bit and adds an additional 2, 3, 5, 2E and 3E train. Also, a handful of additional tiles (as shown in the tile upgrade chart) and a couple of changes to the privates. Very playable.

-Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
carthaginian wrote:
Can a company in 1800 sell its trains to the open market, or get rid of them in any way?

I don't know of ANY 18xx [and I have played a bunch of them] that allows a company to SELL trains, in any manner, during their operating turn.

Companies can BUY trains from other companies during their operation, usually as their last action. In this way a company may sell a train to another company, but no company ever takes a SELL action. They sell the train as a by-product of another company's BUY action, and that distinction is intentional and important.

Also, I don't know of any 18xx that allows companies to voluntarily dump trains into the Bank Pool.

Usually trains end up in the Bank Pool because the train limit is decreased after a phase change and a company suddenly has too many trains. In effect [in 1800], if a company owns four trains when a 6-train is purchased, they must immediately discard one train to the Bank Pool, and they receive no recompense.

In every 18xx that I have played, if a company is at their limit of trains they may not buy a train, even if the purchase would rust enough of their trains to bring them back under the limit.

Realize that trains can rust while in the Bank Pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.