Subject: Educational Games for the Learning Disabled? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: disability [+] [View All]
Wesley Smith
United States
Delaware
OH
flag msg tools
I'm trying to find games that stimulate reading and math skills on a second-grade level, but are themed or appeal to someone who's a little older. I know a nine-year-old boy who's in second grade and in danger of being left back again this year, and is becoming angry with anything he defines as "baby stuff." He knows and can recognize letters, but can only read words when he memorizes the whole word and not when he's asked to recognize how letters fit together. He recognizes single digit numbers but he can't complete formulas.

Part of the problem is that he's already convinced himself that he's stupid and unable to learn, so I want to: A) raise his self-esteem; B) encourage him that he can learn new things; and C) give him a sense of accomplishment. Maybe a game that has a progression of smaller challenges instead of something with one big endgame.

I'm pretty sure he is either a kinesthetic or visual learner, so anything that gets his hands going or can keep his attention (he's been diagnosed with ADHD) might work well.

Like many boys his age, he's into the military, Star Wars and Marvel action figures.

Phew. That was more than I thought it would be. I know that this is a lot to ask for, but I figured if there's anyplace where I could find the answer to my question, it'd be the Geek.

Well, sirs, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication is an excellent math game that should work theme-wise and can be played at different levels of math proficiency. I've even played it cooperatively before my son was ready to handle all of the math on his own.

You don't say whether you'd be playing the games at school, at home, or elsewhere. If you don't mind outside games and if he enjoys physical activities, you might want to take a look at Boochie for reading practice. It's not made to be a reading game (and thus doesn't feel like an "educational" game), but you do have to read simple instructions each turn, like "Jump and toss."
Edit: Let me know if you want a list of the different instructions you have to read in Boochie to see if they're level-appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. How about Castle Panic? It's cooperative, and BGG says it could play kids ages 6 and up. It's not educational per se, but there is some reading, which he could easily memorize which each card does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.