Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am intrigued by this card, but I wonder how it should be discarded.

For the sake of convenience, one should discard this card separately, so that you can find all your Stash cards when you shuffle. This speeds up game play, which is nice for the other players when you configure your deck so you draw 20 cards.

But, you are not allowed to look through your discards. And a separate pile of Stash cards would tell you how many you've gone through. So, the convenient thing to do would also be illegal.

Although, as I type this, I have already come up with a couple of contrary points. First off, since you are allowed to stack your deck as you see fit, you aren't really removing the mystery if you see how many Stash cards you have left.

Also, I suppose you could always have a house rule that you always place Stash at the bottom of the discard pile so you cannot count them.

Just a couple of thoughts that came to me when I saw this card. I'll have to acquire this.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
This card has a different back, so you'll always see any Stash cards while shuffling. No need to view your discard pile (which is illegal anyway). You just have to look through the backsides. Also, don't forget that a seperate discard pile for Stashes or placing them on bottom of your discard pile won't work with Chancellor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
The Card has a different back (red instead of gray I think):
-Discard it like any other card
Then when it comes to shuffle time:
-Turn over discard pile, sort into normal backs and stash backs
-Shuffle Gray backs to create a deck
-Place stash cards where you want them in your deck.

All problems solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
For the sake of convenience, one should discard this card separately

But that would violate the rules, and, as you say, rules trump convenience.

I don't think your suggestion would even be convenient, because it would be more error-prone than the actual mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I did not catch the different back. Very interesting. So, that does make things less of a hassle. I would still fee a bit put out having to do that every shuffle, but it's not as bad as I initially thought.

I'll probably still discard to the bottom just to save myself a little time, since there are currently no rules that rely on the order of the discards (and I really hope there aren't).

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
I'll probably still discard to the bottom just to save myself a little time, since there are currently no rules that rely on the order of the discards (and I really hope there aren't).

There's still the rule to put the cards on top of the discard pile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:

Kevin

Yeah, as Ponton said, there is still the rules about discarding to the top. Right now it doesn't affect too much, but it still does have an effect. By doing the method you just listed it is giving you an unfair advantage of card knowledge in your discard pile, both at times when Stash should be on the top of the discards covering the cards under it and from being able to more accurately keep track of how many stashes you've used this cycle of your deck.

Of course good players can keep track of the cards used each cycle of their deck anyway. But you have to use your memory skills if you want that extra game data/advantage. It's the rules and part of the fun imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.