Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

Is there a points system or such out there to help generate random scenarios for players and make it balanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

There are some interesting mechanics in the CC:A variants that let opponents take turns placing tiles. Imn sure it would be easily applied to memoir.

Ideas..
Lay out the board, and let players draw terrain from a bag. Take turns laying terrain on Left, center, then right and repeat. Lay approximately 12 tiles down

Start with Base armies and roll for extra units.. rolling unit gets that unit.. placing in each section rotating just like the terrain was.

I havent tried any of these but it sounds like fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I once inventoried the Order of Battle of 25 Western Front scenarios and divided by 25 scenarios and came up with:

On average the German OOB consists of 6 Infantry Units, 1 Special Infantry Unit or Engineer, 1 Artillery, 2 armor and one elite armor unit.

The Allies have 7 Infantry, 1 Special Infantry or Engineer, 1 Artillery and 3 Armor units.

Pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered creating one that uses a die roll to determine units, terrain, and hand size, but haven't put much thought into it. Here's one right off the top of my head, using only the core set (the only part of the game I've played).

Players decide who will be the attacker and who will be the defender. Unless otherwise stated, the scenario is a water landing. Each side starts with 5 basic infantry units, a hand size of 3, and 3 random terrain picks, and rolls 8 dice. For each:
-infantry, either increase the number of starting infantry units by two, or turn two existing infantry unit into an engineer or special forces (or one of each). You can't have more infantry units than there are in the box, so if you roll all infantry, get ready to upgrade.
-armor, either add an armor unit or turn one existing armor unit into elite armor.
-grenade, either turn any existing two units into special forces or an engineer (or one of each), or turn any existing armor unit into an elite armor or an artillery.
-star, either increase hand size by one (maximum 6), or add one sandbag and one wire, or add one bunker.
-flag, draw 3 more random terrain tiles and place them where you wish, or the attacking player may "spend" a flag result to turn the board into a land attack rather than water landing.

Each player rolls (doesn't matter in which order) and writes down what they rolled (and what the opponent rolled too, if she wishes). Then each player secretly writes their choice for each die. When both players are done choosing, the attacker reveals first whether a flag was spent to make it a land attack, then the players move on to placement.

The defender places her units within the first four rows on her side and terrain anywhere, then the attacker places his units on the first two rows on his side and terrain anywhere. Any placed sandbags must be occupied. Each section of the map must contain at least two of each side's units (unless a player only has 5 units, in which case one section can have only one). If any river tiles are drawn, cooperate to place them so they make sense and include at least one bridge per river, or agree to only use the non-river side. Finally, the defender places two medals of the attacker's type anywhere on the map. Play to 6 medals (or 5, if either side has only 5 units).

There. Try that out and tell me what you think.

Edit: Minor revision and clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.