Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the posts here and I couldn't see any definitive opinion on what is the best setup for this game, 4 or 5 players... I have a copy of the base game on it's way and I'm wondering if I should also get the 5th player extension or not.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:
I read the posts here and I couldn't see any definitive opinion on what is the best setup for this game, 4 or 5 players... I have a copy of the base game on it's way and I'm wondering if I should also get the 5th player extension or not.

Opinions?

I've only played the 5-player version once, but for 4-players it is tough to beat this great game. I'd pick the 5th player expansion (it's inexpensive) just so you can play the game when you have more than 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect with four. I've only played with five once, and it was OK, but it seemed like Carthage was not an exciting power to play. I don't like the three player game much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F. Santana Miralles
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like both versions, but most of my gaming group prefer the game with the 5th player expansion. Carthage has some really nice rules but it somehow changes completely the playing of the other powers, specially Greece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1 pro, 1 con, and 1 indifferent, that should answer your question for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakinney wrote:

1 pro, 1 con, and 1 indifferent, that should answer your question for ya.

Indeed laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4 or 5?

Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion four is the sweet spot for this game. The careful balance of the four factions in the base game is not helped by adding Carthage to the mix. I would be willing to play it when five players preclude me from playing the base game, but it can have some odd moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Richard.

And as for your original question of if you should buy the expansion, the answer is yes. Why wouldn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time today. It was a 4 player game. I was playing Greece, and was worried about unplayed Carthage all the time. I'm not sure how I could have made any headway at all if Carthage actually had a player. It seems like Carthage with a player and Greece would be in a deathgrip with each other the whole game. Still, I look forward to trying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
> Just played this for the first time today. It was a 4 player game. I was playing Greece, and was worried about unplayed Carthage all the time. I'm not sure how I could have made any headway at all if Carthage actually had a player. It seems like Carthage with a player and Greece would be in a deathgrip with each other the whole game. Still, I look forward to trying that.

Well in the 5th player game Carthage has more to worry about than just the Greeks. The Neutral Powers Activate cards can be used against Carthage to make their life difficult, plus their mercenaries are always leaving them. The 5th player expansion seems to be a love/hate thing, a lot of people love it and some think it ruins the balance. The main "problem" people have with the 5th player expansion is the possibility of a Greek/Carthage alliance. A house rule to prevent that alliance is fine, but I wanted the players to have the maximum range of possibilities when playing so I did not prohibit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.