Sumoku» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Quick and basic review of Sumoku... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bee :)
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality: This is a game that is well-made and comes in a nice zippered pouch. All the pieces are colorful and feel sturdy.

Game Play: After a few minutes of play, I got a Qwirkle-y vibe because no row can contain more than one of each color or number. It plays similarly, but scoring is obviously higher in this game because each tile has a numeric value. One of the coolest little aspects of the game for me was how you could choose to play the "six" tile as either a six or a nine, so it allowed for more strategy to come into play.

Overall Impressions: The standard game was enjoyable, but felt a bit long. I am definitely looking forward to trying out the various games described in the directions booklet. One of them seems to be more fast-paced, and it would be played like Bananagrams with numbers where each player works to build his/her own "cross-word style" arrangement of tiles to hit multiples of the goal number, instead of adding to one giant arrangement. If you are not a quick mathematical thinker, this game is obviously not going to provide much entertainment. I would venture to say that if you like doing Sudoku puzzles, this game might be a logical purchase. As a teacher, I can definitely see how this game would have educational value to reinforce mathematical concepts of addition, as well as multiplication, particularly within the 3, 4, and 5 times tables.

Rating:
7 out of 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the tiles made out of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are plastic with a recessed area where the numbers are painted. They are very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it tonight. This game is excellent! I would prefer it over Scrabble anyday. Of course, I'm an engineer. My wife said it was hit when she brought it out for our kids who are homeschooled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.