Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Reef Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Learn how to teach and play Reef Encounter from the "How to Play" podcast. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode #12 of the How to Play podcast focuses on the game Reef Encounter

This podcast gives a full rules explanation of the game which could be used for....

-Learning the Game yourself
-Learning how to teach a game
-Teaching an entire group prior to the game

The podcast also includes a general musing section for those already familiar with the game but are interested in learning more about; who would enjoy the game, the history and impact of the game, and other assorted topics related to the game at hand.

In the musings for this game, I discuss the concept of schemas and talk about online gaming.

You can access this podcast by subscribing on itunes via this link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-how-to-play-podcast/i...

OR download it from this website;

www.howtoplaypodcast.com

If you like the show please support it by becoming a subscriber on itunes and by joining the How to Play Guild ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/746) and leaving feedback.

Enjoy!

Ryan Sturm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

You did a really great breakdown of a very difficult to explain game! I'll definitely be using your techniques next time I try to teach others.

However, you seem to have interpreted the rules for replenishing of the polyp tiles in step 10 differently to me, and differently to the consensus in this thread (Replenishing reef tiles (3/3/3/2/1)).

From the rule book (my italics):

Quote:
For each of the five differently colored larva cubes on the open-sea board that is accompanied by fewer than three polyp tiles, add one polyp tile to the space containing that larva cube

Which I interpret to mean you add one tile to each square containing less than three tiles, rather than that number of tiles to the square you just cleared out.

The rule is very poorly worded though, so it's hard to know for sure, but the way I've been playing works nice and smoothly and means that no cube is ever stuck with only one tile.

Thanks for your great podcast. It's an invaluable resource!
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.