Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dramatic finishes continue to be a major draw of this game for me. I am not sure if others are as amused, but thought I would share the most recent stomach punch game I was a party to:

Mantinea, from the first expansion, was the setting. The game began as most games between players familiar with one another begin, advancing and feinting, many positional moves, jabs with the lights, etc.

The first blow was delivered by the Spartans advancing an unsupported but leader-adjacent Medium infantry on the Spartan left and unloading on a supported but non leader-adjacent enemy MI. Two hits on the initiating blow, 3 hits on the rejoinder. Not the result the Spartan player was expecting, but telling of the results to follow. The dice would firmly be in control of the action. Though neither player was aware at the time, hits we be at a premium for the rest of the battle.

The single block Spartan and double block Theban units soon fell. A Spartan Heavy commanded by Agesilaus charged into the Theban fray, was hit by a First Strike removing two blocks, but stood its ground and with futile fury removed a single block and forced two hexes of retreat, advancing with nothing to lose upon a HI with Leader attached. More futile fury, a single block loss and no retreats. A helping hand of a battle back pushed the frustrated Spartan HI back, however, leaving it in relative safety, with a single block remaining.

Soon after the unsuccessful push by the Spartans, the Theban Cavalry took control of the action - well secondary control to the dice. The mounted charge sent an unsupported MC to dash the single block HI. The dice had other ideas: no hits on the attack, three hits on the battle back. The other side of the field pitted two Theban MC's against a single, supported Spartan MC. The initial charge netted two hits, but also a BAN. Left with the choice, the Spartan commander retreated the embattled forces to live to fight another turn. The frustrated Theban commander required more blood, and sent the charging colts into the Spartan HI with Leader. The dice seemed to approve, three hits. The battle back however, was equally trued, three hits, and the banner count stood at 2-4 favoring the Spartans. Position, however favored the Thebans.

Back charged the Spartan cavalry, on the left pushing a lone LI to the back line with only a single block remaining. On the left, the single block Spartan MC tackled the 3 block Theban MC with Leader. Three hits on four dice were the hope of the Spartans, and no hits was the harsh reality. The battle back brought the tally to 3-4.

The next turn not only moved the Theban LI to safety, but also felled the single block Spartan HI on the Theban left with the Epaminondas led MC, evening the total at 4-4. The unnamed Leader survived the leader check. Surveying the lay of the field, the Spartan commander did not like what he saw. Perhaps foolishly, a calculated risk was taken. The Leader was evaded within range of the pursuing MC. With only the slightest hesitation, the Thebans followed, but could not run the leader down.

The hunter became the prey. Encircled by the Spartan Leader and an MI, the fatal blow searched by both sides was delivered, and the Theban MC fell. Epaminondas escaped unscathed, however. The Thebans made the unnamed Spartan Leader pay for his risk of exposure, but missed the game clincher on the single block Spartan HI in the center.

Again, the Spartan commander surveyed the field and did not like the options presented. Another, perhaps foolish, calculated risk was taken, moving the lone MC on the Spartan left into a position to reach the last easy target: the single block LI. The hope being that the attrition of the battle had left the Thebans with little resolve in command.

There was enough, though. Double Time was the call:

A seemingly solid move, with but a blemish of carelessness:

Perhaps the notion of a Spartan stand never entered the Theban commanders mind, but it was the only thought of the Spartan commander:

Slight Spartan fear of an ironic finish favoring the Thebans was unfounded, instead a mocking roll for the Theban Light Infantry:

And the battle back provided the basement for the Theban commander's sinking feeling:

EDIT: typos/grammatical errors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for the title laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I came up with that, I had to go through with posting the rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss my time on VASSAL. I should get back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You cock! cry

Ypu don't even deserve the two thumbs you just got!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Did I mention that you're a dirty cheat!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
Dramatic finishes continue to be a major draw of this game for me.

Hence why this game will never get old or boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CJ, you should appreciate the large scale reverse jinx I am attempting on your behalf.

The first three single banner victories on improbable battle backs were amusing, but four straight is too spooky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report Todd. As mentioned, a good point as to why I continue to enjoy this game.

And, you can add that Tourney game you witnessed Monday on here too if you'd like - as depressing as it would be for me to re-live that again cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was played but a few short hours after that debacle, I was able to pick up some of Don's leftover magic dust

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

And, yes, yes you should meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
toddrew wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Just make sure you avoid playing todd - he communes with devils and worships dark gods, all in order to cheat me out of 4 straight victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brady makes his regular monetary donations to Vassal, same as me. He also has access to the "auto-leader-result" button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
toddrew wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Just make sure you avoid playing todd - he communes with devils and worships dark gods, all in order to cheat me out of 4 straight victories.

I was about to add that I've played Todd in the past. He beat me like a drum then, too! I've experienced a few of those "one more banner" defeats!

The more I play, the more I come to understand that there is a bit of over-reach that some players experience. If a player is on the verge of a win, he should check his board position. New players (or experienced ones that forget, like me) will extend themselves and often break strong formations trying to chase down that last, elusive banner. They're ripe for a rude shock when their opponent takes advantage of their over-reach and snaps up units due to lack of support or a cut retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BradyLS wrote:
elgin_j wrote:
toddrew wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

I was about to add that I've played Todd in the past. He beat me like a drum then, too! I've experienced a few of those "one more banner" defeats!

The more I play, the more I come to understand that there is a bit of over-reach that some players experience. If a player is on the verge of a win, he should check his board position. New players (or experienced ones that forget, like me) will extend themselves and often break strong formations trying to chase down that last, elusive banner. They're ripe for a rude shock when their opponent takes advantage of their over-reach and snaps up units due to lack of support or a cut retreat.

Don't ruin my histrionics with you logic!

Now, back to that cheating bastard todd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Guess what-todd robbed me, again, to win 7-6.

This time he had 4 units with 1 hit only and beat me by rolling two LDRs on a 2d LC, when I had a MED ready to roll against a W with only 1 block left.

The man has fucking cursed me. 5 in a row!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4673280

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.