Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
This is a request from the more veteran players to look over these two deck proposals to see if they are fairly evenly matched again each other.

This is really hard, if not impossible to do. The only way to find out if decks are matched well against each other is to play them a lot and find out.

All I can really do is give you advice on how to make the decks better.

1x wandering inmate - Put in the Albino Penguin instead, way better icons, screw the ability
2x stealthy byakhee - Put the third one in
2x thing from the stars - Probably not worth playing in a mono deck, you'll never get the cost reduction
3x overzealous initiate - Really don't need this guy
2x victorias loft - Not worth the cost, use Sedated instead

I would also get rid of some of those neutral attachments. Don't try to even the deck out too much. Accept that its going to be bad at some icon struggles and deal with it. That's how you can make a more interesting and varied game.

If the MU deck just keeps winning, here's some cards I would probably remove to make the game more "fair":

3x restless and wary (its a little mean)
2x open for inspection (really rough against no char. destruction, etc.)
1x with a fine toothed comb

---------

I'll be posting my own mono-Hastur and mono-MU decks in the near future, so keep an eye out for those. I'll also be posting a couple other decks as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
radynski wrote:
2x victorias loft - Not worth the cost, use Sedated instead

I'll stick up for Victoria's Secret here (love that catalog) and say although the cost-3 isn't cheap, once you play it you now have a card that affects every insane card in play (assuming Hastur's terror icons aid the player with not having insane characters of his/her own.) Sedated is super, but as an attachment can only be hung on 1 opposing card. And if you know you'll be facing Cthulhu-heavy decks, then that faction's attachment-obliterating abilities might make Sedated exit stage-left fairly quickly.

I like the Core-Set triumvirate of Hastur/Thing/Loft. Hastur drives ‘em nuts, the Loft keeps ‘em nuts, and the Thing kills those that are nuts.

my $0.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
That said, is the difference between the two being that the loft is a table wide effect that disallows characters from becoming sane normally during refresh, but can become sane by use of things such as arkham asylum whereas sedated disallows that targeted character from becoming sane by any means?

Exactly. If the opponent has other ways of restoring insane characters, like Arkham Asylum or Dr. Carson, then the Loft is very ineffectual.

But that's not why I would remove it.

I don't like Victoria's Loft because it doesn't do anything to further your game, and get you closer to winning. It is a very passive card, which has a cool effect, but if you play it, you simply slow your own tempo down. I'd much rather spend that 3-domain on a character which can fight at stories and potentially net me success tokens.

Play with it if you like it. And its not a bad card in highlander, but if you have 3 copies of everything, there are much better choices out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.