Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
This is meant to be just sort of a quick and dirty session report of a game my wife and I played recently. She's not really a gamer, but this is a game she has taken a shine to and has gotten quite good at! It's fun and easy to play, but has some interesting decisions and strategies for a game that only takes about 45 minutes. This is only our 4th or 5th game.

On the first round of the game my wife took prospector, then builder (she was the governor in a two player game and therefore got to choose 2 roles), and built a library. Not a good sign for me.... I started building production buildings and soon had a thriving Silver trading business going. She rapidly began to surpass me though, jumping out to 3 production buildings and a Market Stall (1 bonus card when selling 2 or more goods). I thought we were keeping a pretty even pace with each other, but she took good advantage of her library, producing and trading goods en masse, while building more production buildings. I wondered why she was building so many.....until she put up her Guild Hall (two points per production building surprise.

By this point I"d built a library of my own, as well as an assortment of purple buildings (some to make trading more lucrative, others to make building more purple buildings easier). I managed to get a City Hall out, and then built a Victory Column before she built her 12th building to end the game.

Our building count was dead even, 20 to 20. But her Guild Hall blew away my City Hall, with 18 points for her NINE production buildings! My City Hall had 9 violet buildings counting itself, but that only counted for 9 points. So the final score was my "non-gamer" wife 38, the "gaming expert" me 29 . But we both had a fun, quick game and
are excited to play again sometime.

Since we're both new I'm sure we're learning a lot of the strategy as we go, and I know I probably could've done things better. Lesson learned though....don't let the wife get carried away with the Guild Hall! Incidentally neither of us saw a Chapel or a Palace the whole game, which was kind of funny, but since we weren't using the Councilor hardly ever it was understandable. We were also doing an awful lot of producing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
She's not really a gamer, but this is a game she has taken a shine to...

Wow, that's great! San Juan is not an easy game to learn and I would think it would be pretty unappealing to "non-gamers". Usually I'm stuck playing silly party games with non-gaming friends who don't want to learn any of my complicated games!

You might want to look into Race for the Galaxy if you two start to get bored with San Juan. It is similar enough that you'll already know how to play, but the VP chips and simultaneous hidden role selections really make a more fun game (in my opinion).

Great report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.