Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've always been pretty interested in the Terrinoth universe, and Runewars sounds like it has some interesting mechanics. What I was curious was how does it compare to Starcraft: The Boardgame?

Though I don't own it, a friend of mine owns Starcraft and I've played it a few times and I really liked it a lot. Runewars sounds like it has some similar mechanics and I was wondering how people thought the two stacked up against each other? What's better\worse about one or the other? What's just plain different or similar between them? Would people recommend one over the other? Or are they different enough from each other that it'd be worth owning both? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both very different games, and play very differently. I don't even really see a lot of similar mechanics in general. The combat is very different, the moving around is different... there really isn't a lot in common between these games.

That being said, I think both are great additions to a game collection. They both scratch different itches. Starcraft is more a "planning, then execute" game - planning is VITAL to winning. Runewars takes a more flexible approach. Planning through the year is vital, too, in order to take advantage of the Supremacy bonus for the cards, but it's not as rigid as Starcraft where you cannot change your orders; you choose orders one at a time, and thus can adjust if needed through the year.

Liking one won't necessarily cause you to like the other, though. Just because you like Starcraft, doesn't mean you'll like this. However, I think that this game is definitely worth the investment. I haven't played a game yet where I've felt "that sucked". Every game was to the wire, intense fighting, and walking-the-edge-of-victory. Both ware worth having, and neither really takes away from the other; they are very different, that it just depends on what kind of mood you are in at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Starcraft once when it came out, so my memory may be quite hazy, but I seem to recall that everyone was always near their victory conditions and you REALLY had to pay close attention or someone could win before you knew it. There'll be none of that in RuneWars. If you can't maintain a dragon rune count for the other players, you have no one to blame but yourself. And it's it a lot easier to caution new players to watch out on the runes than it is to watch all of Starcraft's victory conditions. I understand that some people may enjoy Starcraft for the very reason of the victory conditions, but that wasn't for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually liked Starcraft better then Runewars to tell the truth. Much of it for the exact opposite reason of what I like in Runewars. The only thing in Starcraft that I wasn't really fond of was the actual Combat itself, which I actually like more in Runewars. They are different combat systems, where in Runewars it's more like the traditional advanced A&A type dice combat with different units, but moved to card resolution instead of dice, Starcraft makes combat more about making plans and determining how best to utilize the cards that you already have or are going to have.

I enjoy the actual combat card dynamic in making plans, drawing cards, figuring out which cards to have, and the expansion in Starcraft, just not the actual act of laying the cards down, which is hard to explain, I guess it's the actual combat part instead of the combat prep and planning part of Starcraft battles.

Starcraft has outstanding materials for it's game.

They ARE DIFFERENT enough that if you want to own both, I do NOT FEEL that they overlap in any way or fashion. In fact if Runewars appeals to you, try it and if you like it...BUY IT!

They are really different games. They both have plastic units, they both use cards...and they both have boards which can be reconfigured...but overall have about as much simlarities in my mind as Lord of the Rings Risk has to Star Wars the Queen's gambit...which is to say...not much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks for the info fellas. Clearly they are not at all as similar as I'd imagined them to be :). I'm still not sold on the idea of Runewars, though I do love Starcraft. The idea of everyone not being an inch from victory all the time would be a nice break though. Thanks for the insight, I may have to see if I can play somewhere though I don't know anyone who has it as yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree too that Starcraft and Runewars are very different games. I really enjoy Starcraft BG and I've really enjoyed Runewars too.

Starcraft is a more direct confrontational game. It's centered almost entirely on military conflict.

Runewars, on the other hand, has a few different concerns. It's combat system is more streamlined, and the type of units isn't as varied. On the other hand, your choice of actions varies more and you're constantly debating on which action is the best. Especially in the late game.

Runewars is also probably easier to learn. I've taught both games several times, and while Starcraft is fairly easy to understand, Runewars seems just a touch easier.

Both games are fairly balanced and competative. Both have modular boards that allow for multiple layouts that require different strategies depending on how things are arranged. And both are fun and original games, different enough to warrant ownership if you're so inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPLETELY different games. SC:tbg is tactical whereas RW is strategic. Also, somewhat importantly, SC:tbg is a box of suck whereas RW works pretty well, if you can slog through the rules the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
Also, somewhat importantly, SC:tbg is a box of suck

There aren't enough people around saying this

I wouldn't say starcraft sucks, the underlying ideas are pretty good and the miniatures are awesome. However the battles are just lacking and the rulebook is a disorganized mess, probably because there are too many rules exceptions.

I'd recommend RuneWars as the better game, the rules are less convoluted, the battles are way more exciting and the game plays way faster than Starcraft (unless you play the epic variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree on the Starcraft assessment. It's a fanatastic game and one of my favorites.

Still, Runewars is a great game (regardless of how one feels about Starcraft), and definitely not just a rehash of Starcraft, despite similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft is not complete without the expansion. Only with Broodwar it becomes the exciting and fantastic game it really is (esp. if played 2vs2). I have played RW only once so far but my impression is that SC is the less forgiving game. Every singel order can be crucial in bringing you down and you will almost always be in direct conflict. In RW everything appears to be a little more relaxed and you can create a safe area around your home provinces much more easily.
Both are good or possibly excellent games. Try them and see how you like them before buying - they ARE expensive (esp. with the added expansion in the case of SC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:
Starcraft is not complete without the expansion. Only with Broodwar it becomes the exciting and fantastic game it really is (esp. if played 2vs2). I have played RW only once so far but my impression is that SC is the less forgiving game. Every singel order can be crucial in bringing you down and you will almost always be in direct conflict. In RW everything appears to be a little more relaxed and you can create a safe area around your home provinces much more easily.
Both are good or possibly excellent games. Try them and see how you like them before buying - they ARE expensive (esp. with the added expansion in the case of SC).

I tried to give a last shot at Starcraft with the expansion, but I really didn't see the major problems with it fixed, it seems like it adds more chrome and not enough fixes.

I find that in Runewars attacks come less often but have more weight, In starcraft combat is way too easy to start making everything much more chaotic and more difficult to plan for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play Starcraft with the expansion, but i have to say I loved the base game and can't imagine why anyone would hate it?

Lol, oh well, differnt strokes for different folks as they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghosthack wrote:
alex352 wrote:

I tried to give a last shot at Starcraft with the expansion, but I really didn't see the major problems with it fixed, it seems like it adds more chrome and not enough fixes.

I find that in Runewars attacks come less often but have more weight, In starcraft combat is way too easy to start making everything much more chaotic and more difficult to plan for.

First of all, the expansion fixes a few units from the base game (most notably Archons). Also the new units help very much to balance the races. You get modules that help diversify strategies (e.g. by allowing you to overcome the air defence module through another module). These are just the most important things that come to my mind right now.
Your last comment on the frequency of combat is valid to a certain degree. Starcraft sees more combat between players, not necessarily more combat in general. Also, what creates planing challenges is not the frequency of aggression but rather the fact that you have usually very little space to manoeuver. In Runewars you have your starting tiles where you are quite safe. In Starcraft, attacks can (and will) come from every single direction (if you get very unlucky right in the first round) so you will have to plan a lot more carefully and yes - other people will sometimes screw your plans. But the better your planning the less that will have devastating effects. So while I can see how Starcraft is more "chaotic" for you I'd rather call it less forgiving than Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both. They are two very different games and there is room for both in your collection.

It's true that Starcraft is much less forgiving (perhaps why some hate it so), but playing 2v2 is fantastic. At this time I am unaware of any team rules in Runewars, though they would be great.

Combat is interesting and I think works well in each game, fitting the tactical (Starcraft) and strategic (Runewars) levels of play.

Since you have a friend that already owns Starcraft getting Runewars would be a great addition to your gaming options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both I have to give the edge to Runewars. Both games are a lot of fun and very deep, however, Runewars has a better combat system and it seems there is much less downtime. Those are my two biggest complaints about StarCraft, the combat system and downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.