Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In academia, what happens to your early publications when, say, you get married and you change your name? How do people know that the two names are the same person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They usually keep their maiden name to use professionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrasantae wrote:
In academia, what happens to your early publications when, say, you get married and you change your name? How do people know that the two names are the same person?

Usually via self-citation, assuming one is not looking at a CV. If someone cites an article they wrote before the name change, they will generally point out it is the same author.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except, it really isn't the same author. Actually, no two articles are ever written by the same person. In fact, every article is written by quite a few people - since, we are continually changing, we are a different person each and every moment. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Except, it really isn't the same author. Actually, no two articles are ever written by the same person. In fact, every article is written by quite a few people - since, we are continually changing, we are a different person each and every moment. ninja
I realise that whenever I'm trying to track down something a year or so old in my e-mails (yes, sometimes I need to go back and have evidence of decisions made). I often read them and think "that doesn't sound like me, it's far too professional", which just goes to show I'm slipping downhill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.