Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Fredericks
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot player expected this game instead of Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game with 23 reviews and 2 fans? Yeah thats what I expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
“I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up.” ― Marty Feldman
mbmbmbmbmb
I expected Battlemist II...sadly soblue it's a bit too different, but I'll still play it cool...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has enough of Battlemist to keep the general feel there, without all the major problems that the original game had.

Battlemist was OK, but not something that I could play over and over. Runewars is one that thus far, every game has left me feeling "man, I can't wait to play again." Very few games have left me feeling that way every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fredericks
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Therron Thomas,

You expected a popular game? Or did you expect a game where heroes filled quests, gained powerful items, built armies and drove them to victory?

Runewars has heroes and armies but they do not really interact. Many reviews point out that they wished heroes and armies would interact more as in Zanziar.

Of course Runewars has more reviews and fans. FFG is like Hollywood and Runewars a summer box-office hit. Zanziar is a one man team.

I haven't played Zanziar, I a just pointing it out to people who might be interested in the better hero and army integration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lyman
United States
Stockton
Utah
flag msg tools
I LOVE the seperation between hero and army. The reason being is that I can easily sweep the victory out from another player who thinks heroe's arent worth their time.

And I think the interaction between heroes and armies is perfect. The few heroes that can affect the outcome of a battle or that can destroy a type of unit just by being near them - is AWESOME and makes the game much more enjoyable than just a hero that runs around as the front to an army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtof wrote:
To Therron Thomas,

You expected a popular game? Or did you expect a game where heroes filled quests, gained powerful items, built armies and drove them to victory?

Runewars has heroes and armies but they do not really interact. Many reviews point out that they wished heroes and armies would interact more as in Zanziar.

Of course Runewars has more reviews and fans. FFG is like Hollywood and Runewars a summer box-office hit. Zanziar is a one man team.

I haven't played Zanziar, I a just pointing it out to people who might be interested in the better hero and army integration.

No. I was just amused. Thought it was funny you suggested a game that appeared to be a couple of years old with very few fans and following.

Meant no disrespect to the game, you or the followers of that game.

Good analogy with the movies, it did appear on surface like asking fans of Avatar if they were expecting Pocahontas.

It does look interesting and to be honest if I can find a copy cheap I might pick it up. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to find it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think it has enough of Battlemist to keep the general feel there, without all the major problems that the original game had.

Well, opinions will vary; "...enough of..." and "...general feel..." don't make it Battlemist II for me and I didn't think there were many problems with Battlemist to begin with, no "major" ones anyway.

sigmazero13 wrote:
Battlemist was OK, but not something that I could play over and over. Runewars is one that thus far, every game has left me feeling "man, I can't wait to play again." Very few games have left me feeling that way every time.

I loved Battlemist when I first got it and I have happily played it many times; I hope I like Runewars too! ...It's just my wish wasn't exactly fulfilled.

They decided to go a different way with the game and changed the name and the world to go along with an established game line.

Twilight Imperium III is an obvious progression from 1st and 2nd editions, I've owned all 3.

If, instead of TI:2, they had come out with "Star Runes" or something I'd get their gist.

I just wanted a cool big-box version of Battlemist with better components, Sails of War included, and some tweaked and updated rules.

Runewars is a "reimagining" instead of a "sequel", like they do all the time in Hollywood nowdays.

Oh well...I'll still buy it!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I read the previews of Runewars before its release and finally played it this past weekend. Based on what I'd read and seen, I'd say the game was more or less what I'd expected it to be.

That Zanzair game looks kind of alternately interesting, though. Doesn't seem to be much information about it available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanven't played Runwars yet, but after having played Zanziar a couple of times, I'm pretty sure I'll be liking Runewars better. I don't know... but Zanziar may not be the best example of hero and army integration, maybe Quest for the Dragonlords would be a better choice, or even Wizard Kings.

In Zanziar you're limited to a few mobile armies, composed of a leader and up to 5 army units. Adventures aren't really more complex than in Runewars (go someplace and pass a skill test) and movement is so slow and the map so big, interaction between players is almost nonexistant (at least with very few players). I wouldn't have a problem with that if at least the interaction with the board was interesting, but it isn't much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yldarr wrote:
Twilight Imperium III is an obvious progression from 1st and 2nd editions, I've owned all 3.

To be honest, TI3 doesn't have too much more in common with TI2 than Runewars does with Battlemist. Similar premise, a few similar features underneath, but the game itself in TI3 is VERY different in terms of mechanics, strategy, etc.

Quote:
If, instead of TI:2, they had come out with "Star Runes" or something I'd get their gist.

The way you win in TI3 is very different than the way you win in TI2 - points (in TI3) vs a progression in TI2.

Quote:
I just wanted a cool big-box version of Battlemist with better components, Sails of War included, and some tweaked and updated rules.

And I, for one, am very glad they didn't do that. Battlemist is OK, but if all Runewars became was a big-box version of Battlemist, I would have passed without giving it a second thought. It's not that Battlemist sucks, it's just that Battlemist lacked a lot of depth that the more "modern" Fantasy Flight games put into it.

For instannce, one thing I don't like about Battlemist is that the primary victory conditions (getting stars) is almost completely unrelated to the army part of the game. Your HEROES are what largely determine the outcome. The only part the army plays is indirect - getting resources and buying the stars manually.

The game also doesn't scale well for 2 players. A 2 player map has just as big a map as a 4-player map, which means in 2 players, you could have games where the players never even get close to each other, and just sit around collecting resources and questing. In all the games of Battlemist I've played (which have all been 2-player) there has been very little combat. Most of the game is just sitting around expanding and fortifying key areas. In Runewars, I've yet to have a 2-player game where the fighting didn't being early in year 2 and continue throughout the game. The game is a constant battle for resources, runes, and territory. That's laregly because a 2-player map is just big enough for 2 players. A 4-player map is bigger, enough to accommodate the 4 players.

Despite that, I still enjoy a game of Battlemist here and there, but overall, I admit it's left me feeling a bit wanting for something meatier.

But to each their own. At least give Runewars a try, you may find the "reimagining" makes for a fun game. I loved TI3's base game, for example. But for me, the expansion made TI3 even better. I like TI2. TI3 makes the TI universe even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
But to each their own. At least give Runewars a try, you may find the "reimagining" makes for a fun game.

I am going to buy it and play it, and I'm sure I'll like it.

Again, what I wanted for many years, I didn't get.

I'm glad that FFG and those customers that wanted Runewars strictly for what it was got what they want.

I ate a great apple fritter once and asked for an apple pie made from the same apples...and I got an apple cake instead.

I still love those apples though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.