Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played just a few times.

Very interesting game for sure, but I don't understand why there is a Master Spy in a game so luck-based. It adds more chaos.

I don't understand Assassin neither. Why should we waste a whole round just in order to kill an Agent X that we don't even know what it is.

In general, I don't use Master Spy or Assassin.

Please, how is the strategy in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played that much but for what it is worth.

The master spy means even when you are winning you can't be sure you are winning. It will make you draw from a winning position just to avoid passing and losing to a potential master spy. The fact that it could be there is the big threat.

Assassin is more tricky. It can be great to use on the 5vp rounds as there is not much to lose. Killing any spy can really hurt your opponent, especially early as it limits there options. I don't really have a rule but I use it in once in a while to scare my opponent. If you kill one then getting a second is even worse for your opponent as you really start limiting their options.

I think the basic strategy is similar to blackjack, you try to draw when the odds are good and hold when they are bad. Use the powers of the factions to improve your odds or hurt your opponents. Use your agents to keep your opponent guessing and work to your strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Steve. Good tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rakoto
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Some quick advices to win at this game (in my humble opinion and based on my experience with the game, of course ):

- The most important feature of this game is the agent you choose to conduct an operation. Like Chess, the opening move (ie the agent X you choose) will give the mood of the game. I often choose the assasin on the first objective (whatever the objective is, even a 20 points one: It's better that way) because it will bring pressure on my opponent (If I win, he looses an agent, if I loose, he knows I'm hardcore enough to prefer to kill than to win an objective. He can smell fear and uncertainty... or he just can smell chaos, whatever)

- The assassin is the good card to choose when it comes to the infamous 5 points event cards: It's a fast kill if you pass the card check !

- Alternate Master Spy and Director is a good combination (as long as your opponent doesn't catch it).

- When you're off the score (ie you've got the balance token) the Analyst is the good choice, especially if the next objective is a low population, high reward card. Master Spy played next is a good choice in this case.

- If you're vicious enough to count on Master Spy's effect to win: Be sure the opponent's Assassin is on leave when you're planning to play the Master Spy.

Some general advice:
- If you've got the Balance token, it doesn't mean necessary you are first to play. It means you CHOOSE who plays first. So giving your opponent the opportunity to play first when all it comes together for you is a very disturbing move: He will think you're planning some "Master Spy" stuff ! (...mhhhh play the Assassin then)

- When a 20 pts Objective is on the frontline, don't hesitate to play the Assassin. If you win, next you can play the Director to claim this previous card (which you know worthing 20 pts)

- Psy-War: If your opponent is stupid enough to choose the power of Double Agent to make you show what your next agent will be, show him the Assassin !

CW:CvsK is a quick game of Luck, sneak and psycholgy. I used to play against the same opponent, again and again, because it's the situation where you can really mess up with the other's mind. He's used (at least he thinks he is) to your style, and you're used to his: The ideal situation to make the contrary move your opponent expect from you !

Last advice: Since it's a Beer a Bretzel game, stick to the Beer: I've tried it with some Whiskey and, oh boy, it will be difficult to remember which group was drawn and eliminated, and which one is still available ! (It was even worse when I smoke some weird tobacco)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very good, David, thanks! But let me ask you: why is it stupid to choose the power of Double Agent to make the opponent show what his next agent will be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rakoto
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
Very good, David, thanks! But let me ask you: why is it stupid to choose the power of Double Agent to make the opponent show what his next agent will be?

Well, it's not that stupid. It's just my style: I like to say to my usual opponent with a 80s b-movie russian accent that he made "a verrry stoopid moove" when he plays his double agent. See that as a kind of a private joke.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Howie
Australia
flag msg tools
balsamo wrote:

- Psy-War: If your opponent is stupid enough to choose the power of Double Agent to make you show what your next agent will be, show him the Assassin !

Definitely not stupid to choose the double agent. However, playing assassin when forced to reveal is pretty silly considering you are forced to show the agent BEFORE your opponent has selected theirs. It goes without saying that the Deputy Director will be chosen as a counter measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.