BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Through the Ages...Waiting? Or good to go? -POLL- rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I wanted to see what the general consensus on this was?

I realize there may never be a 'perfect' edition but I was just curious...

Poll
1. I would purchase Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization if it came out in a fourth and fully corrected edition. I haven't yet purchased the game because of the glitches with some of the components. (For the price I'm paying, surely they could get it right!)
That's me!
Not me. Next question...
2. I have already purchased or am intending to purchase the most recent edition of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization regardless of its minor mistakes. (I don't mind fixing a couple of the cards, the low res boards don't bother me (if the case) and who cares, it's a great game and it's fine the way it is!)
That's me!
Not me. Next question...
3. I am not intending on purchasing Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization at this stage. (No thanks, not for me - or least until I research it!)

That's me!
Not me. Next question...
4. I have already purchased or am intending to purchase the most recent edition of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and then upgrade it when and if a new edition comes out. (I have the $!)
That's me!
Not me.
      101 answers
Poll created by drmutt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current printing seems to, finally, be error-free. It's cute how they kept the same culture track that goes to 190 from back in the days of the fix-pack stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
What!?

I thought the last edition had no more errors. Please tell me what they are as I had the latest edition and do not see any errors. You may want to re-check your facts.

See this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/476260/how-do-i-know-if-...

I see there is another thread about someone missing their Tesla card, but I think that is a one-off error, not an entire print run error (I have my Tesla card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the first FRED printing, with the same card errors and the score track that mysteriously skips ten points. What's more, my apartment seems to be the only one in the U.S. that FRED can't find, because I have a number of friends who got the fix pack shipped out to them pronto, whereas I've asked three times for it, have been assured twice that it is coming, and have never received it. Some Bermuda Triangle kind of thing, no doubt, Perhaps someone else in DC has two or three of them and is wondering what the heck they are.

In short, I have the most flawed edition there is, and I would still buy it again (if there weren't a better edition out now), because the errors are easy to play around, and putting up with minor irritants is much better than having to say, "Huh. Guess I can't play it at all."

And as others have pointed out, there is actually an error-free version now. It's still FRED 2nd Edition, but it's the second printing thereof, aka the third FRED printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember the most recent printing had a few minor typos or something. Nothing a marker couldn't fix. At least that's what I remember... been a while since I've heard anything.

So, when are we getting that TtA Expansion? =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot the option for people who bought it and really wish they hadn't. Not only did I pay too much (FRED used to have an anti-discounting policy, so I paid way, way too much), not only were the components buggy, but it turns out I don't really like the game that much.

As an aside, the problems with the FRED edition go beyond just the mistakes. The cards are frustratingly small, the little discs practically need a tweezer to use and are guaranteed to roll off the table, the graphic design is awful, the colors are overloaded to mean totally different things in different contexts (there are red/blue/yellow players, represented by red/blue/yellow cubes; there are worker and resource tracks represented by yellow/blue discs; there are military/culture/research tracks represented by red/yellow/blue squares), and it's just in general an amateurish production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't see anyone stating any of the supposed errors in the most recent edition. Please give evidence.

(BTW, I don't think you will be able to find any so I think this poll is based on a fallacy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Really? My apologies...I must have got the editions mixed up...blush Well in that case...Time for a little chat with the game shop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Olin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I really don't intend to sound like a troll here, but as much as I like civilization games, Through The Ages is just way too ugly for me. The art is horrendous. Sorry if that sounds superficial, but I just can't get past it. No matter how much I wish I could. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the second edition and obtained the upgrade kit. I haven't found any reason to purchase a more recent edition, as the one I have works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the second edition, and have owned since it was first available in the U.S.

Would I have rather waited for an error-free edition to finally print, or have owned the game for this much longer, and got this many more playings out of it because I didn't wait?

Come on, people - are we game players or Hummel collectors? If you think (or know) you're going to enjoy the game, waiting for a better printing isn't punishing anyone but yourself.

I, for one, am a little tired of hearing people talk as if the game, once finally purchased, is going into a hermetically-sealed, argon-filled souvenier cabinet, and thus should be representative of the finest printing technology and quality known to man.

Horseshit. Buy the game and play it, or buy something else you will play. And if you haven't noticed, there are more expensive games on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmutt wrote:
I realize there may never be a 'perfect' edition

really? I have the first edition, and that is perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
drmutt wrote:
I realize there may never be a 'perfect' edition

really? I have the first edition, and that is perfect!

Agreed. There are two cards with misspelled words and two cards with switched around lab/library icons, but you would be hard-pressed to find these errors unless you went looking.

It's worth it to have Bill Gates, Elvis, and Sid Meier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The current printing seems to, finally, be error-free. It's cute how they kept the same culture track that goes to 190 from back in the days of the fix-pack stickers.

I have the 3rd edition (ie: 2nd English edition by FRED/Eagle, linen effect card, big playmats, big cubes, new colours, etc) which I believe is the last and most recent edition (editions on this game being so complex because of differing by language - the new Polish and Czech versions adding further confusion!)

It definitely has errors. Less than previous, but definitely errors.

Off the top of my head:

1) one copy of Oil is missing it's technology cost
2) The Playmats have an erroneous starting worker on Religion
3) The Lab and Library symbols and words are transposed on one of the age 2/3 leaders.

Assassinate and the Score track are definitely corrected, I'm not 100% sure on the erroneous 3/4 player card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That isn't the current printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
That isn't the current printing.

Touche!

Folks, please get the facts straight before casting aspersions.

You are entitled to your opinions but not the facts!

To get the "error-free" version just make sure it says:

3rd Printing
Copyright 2009 Fred Distribution, Inc.

at the bottom right corner of the back of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem would appear to be the difference between the 3rd edition (what I have - FRED's 2nd printing) and the 3rd printing (by FRED but not others).

Given that there is no difference in play between 2nd and 3rd edition (also only error corrections) they should either all be editions, or all printings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
None of these are me.

I am very interested in TTA. However, it's new to my groups, meaning no one owns it. Furthermore the rules are inexplicably not online. Since I don't have a chance to fully read the rules, I don't know if I would like it, nor can I show those rules to my friends to see if they would like it.

So I skipped it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
C. I own the perfect original printing....and it is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:

Furthermore the rules are inexplicably not online. Since I don't have a chance to fully read the rules, I don't know if I would like it, nor can I show those rules to my friends to see if they would like it.

The problem in TTA's case is that you are basically only paying for those rules, and the thought that went into them.

The components are average in the recent printing and poor (and incomplete) in the previous ones. They are cards of a quality you could print yourself (with card texts available online), lots of small counters and a board that is nothing more than places to to stack various cards and a score track around the outside.

Whilst I'm a big fan of rulebooks being available online, I do follow that in TTA's case you are paying for those rules in all their brilliance. It's is most certainly *not* a game where you are paying for the components. It's a reason for lots of people not to buy - component/qualitywise you are overpaying for the game by 3-400%.

Now for me, I can look past all of that, because the game is brilliant, and the 100 odd hours it's given me so far with no sign of being stale make it worth it. If you are a 'what do I get in the box for my money' kind of person, then it won't please you at all, in fact it's likely to make your worst 10 of all time list.

That I think is the reason - publish the rulebook online, and there is no reason at all not to buy $15 in pieces and make it a print and play - you'll have less errors, and comparable quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:

To get the "error-free" version just make sure it says:

3rd Printing
Copyright 2009 Fred Distribution, Inc.

at the bottom right corner of the back of the box.

The problem is that Fred is as slapdash and error prone on the box as everything else they print!

For example - my box says 2007, which makes it the 1st Fred printing, only it's not - it's printed on linen effect card, large playmats, new colours, all the 3rd Ed/2nd print errors and fixes. Fred just forgot to update the packaging graphics for part of that print run it seems...

When I was trying to get hold of a copy for myself and I knew I wanted 3rd (2nd print! lol) - a friend had 2nd/1st. I kept getting very mixed information from various dealers and store owners based on what their distributor promised, what the box said versus what the contents told me, etc. I now realise that at least some of that confusion and misinformation was due to the fact that what it says on the box isn't always what's in the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:
None of these are me.

I am very interested in TTA. However, it's new to my groups, meaning no one owns it. Furthermore the rules are inexplicably not online. Since I don't have a chance to fully read the rules, I don't know if I would like it, nor can I show those rules to my friends to see if they would like it.

So I skipped it.

Imagine that someone said "Hey, I have these awesome bars of solid gold for you", and you replied, "well, unless I see them in person, I don't know how shiny they are, so I will pass".

That is what you are doing here with Through the Ages. It is solid gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.