Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Stidham
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
Monopoly City Plus

The game is just as regular monopoly city with the following changes and additions:

1) Industrial salary: instead of $2m for passing go, you earn a salary based on the industrial buildings you have on properties you own (mortgaged properties still count). You earn:
     $250k for each industry on go--jail
     $500k for each industry on jail--free parking
     $750k for each industry on free parking--go to jail
     $1m for each industry on go to jail--go
Note:I find that 1 player keeps track is best. I use a 4-tally mark system (each set 1 mil).

2) Use only 4 railroads. When you "build a railroad," you may place one on a property or move a rail already on the board somewhere new.

3) short rails: using a railroad only transports you to the next clockwise railroad. You must arrive at a differnt property.

4) Greedy Banks: pay the bank the rent values of mortgaged properties you land on.
NOTE:this rule is optional. Another variant is to have greedy banks activate only when all properties have been bought.

5) Better auctions: each player writes down a maximum bid. The person with the largest bid buys the property at the price of the second highest bidder, plus $0.1m. If the 2 highest bids are the same, randomly select the winner. He pays his full bid. 

6) better industry tax: this space now reads "buy and place 1 industrial building on any property you own OR pay $2m if you own industry"

7) Profitable Rails - properties you own with railroads on them collect money in addition to rent based on how many such properties you control. Read Stadium Crowds for how much you earn. The bank counts as a player for rails on mortgaged and unowned properties. 

8) stadium crowds -with profitable rails, change the amount you receive based on the stadiums you own:
0 stadiums: $250k/$500k/$1m/$2m
1 stadium: $500k/$1m/$2m/$4m
2 stadiums: $1m/$2m/$4m/$6m
Stadiums do not add $1m salary with this varient.

9) Multi landing: you land and interact with all spaces you land on during your turn.

Winning in monopoly city plus : after all residential and industrial buildings have been used, all players get a build phase for mortgaging and unmortgaging. Then:
1) put all player pieces on go
2) set all player cash to $20m.
3) each player starting with the current player places a railroad anywhere. Place all 4.
4) set salary to $0 for all players.
5) players skip the build phase.
6) play until last man standing.

So far this game has played a lot better than the original. Please reply for thoughts and more playtests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

About auctions:
We are also applying closed auctions rules - they are simple, easy to apply, quick, fair and often create much doubt on auction's result - but we have stated that the player who places the highest bid must pay the amount bid.

While your house rule (HR) ensures the player who gets the district has just to pay a bit more money than other players are intended to pay (what is an approach to an open auction), our house rule intends to balance auctions in the sense that a player with a lot of money must pay more to ensure the ownership of the district.

To illustrate the point, suppose players A and B dispute a district put up for auction and player A has so much money than player B that (s)he may pay whatever should be necessary to adquire the district.
Since player A is unable to know how much player B feels the district is worth, which should be his/her bid?
(a) under your HR, player A may make an absurd huge bid because (s)he’ll pay the maximum amount player B was able to bid, so giving no chance to player B to get the district;
(b)under our HR, player A must carefully ponder how much to bid because (s)he´ll have to pay the amount bid; to ensure the district ownership (s)he must make a very high bid otherwise player B has a chance to get the district!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Stidham
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
Yes, I see what you mean. I considered your HR, but my HR was an attempt to make auctions go faster than yours. But you're HR is fine, probably doesn't take that much longer and is a little more fair.

Hope you enjoy my industrial salary variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VeteranRoach wrote:
[...] but my HR was an attempt to make auctions go faster than yours [...].

Hi, VeteranRoach,
sorry, but my HR doesn´t go slower than yours since the only difference between them is that your HR requires a calculation (the amount to be paid = second highest bidder plus $0.1m) and my HR needs no calculation at all (just pay the amount bid)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there. Nice variant I just bought this game the other day so i will have to try this out and have been working on my own. I like the way you added bonuses for stadiums and rails very cool. I would like to see a sim city variant or a zombie city nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.