Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for a VASSAL PBEM Opponent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just acquired CC:Europe, Med and Stalingrad. I have a few F2F games under my belt and I'm looking for a PBEM game or two. Please send a geekmail if you're interested.

Marstov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not recommend trying to play CC by email. There are just too many possible player interactions to make the file exchanges become anything less than a real chore. It is 'do-able', of course, but the virtual gaming experience really hits a sweet spot if you can arrange with another player to meet on-line at the same time.
What time zone are you in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USA Central (GMT -6:00). Generally not available before 8:30 PM in that time zone.

I'm sure live would be better than PBEM, but given PBEM or nothing surely PBEM is better? I understand op fire might be tricky, but is it really that troublesome? There are modifiers that one could play on an attack and such, but I've heard from other people that they've enjoyed PBEM too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I play via email almost exclusively.

It's not too bad - op fire is just an interrupt in the log. The only other oddity is the need to "roll" for your opponent's defenses - but it comes off just as random. Again, a log interrupt is necessary if the defender wants to play defense cards... An example of a typical log:

ME: Okay, my first order...
American plays Fire Order. Activate units to fire.
Sgt SoAndSo is activated.
Squad of Apes is activated.
Mega Machine Gun is activated.
German Squad is being shot at.
(after choosing Target option)
MMG is firing. FP is now 118. (I may be misremembering the FP of a MMG... )
Sgt SoAndSo is supporting the attack. FP is now 119.
Squad of Apes is supporting the attack. FP is now 120.

ME: Now my roll.
American rolls a 1,1. Sniper! activation.
ME: WooHOO, Sniper check...
Random Hex is D7.
ME: No effect. Stoopid Snipers.
Total FP is 122.
German Squad is defending with a morale of 8.
Morale is now 110.
German Squad is defending in a Mega Bunker.

ME: Any defense cards? Play them now!
ME: Rolling for defense.

American rolls a 6,6. (note: VASSAL notes which player rolled the roll - even though you can go into the other player's deck and choose the card from their deck... this would actually be a German roll, and a German trigger is there is one. Not that hard to keep track of when you're actually doing the rolling...)
Total Defense is 122.
ME: So unless you played a Defense Card, your squad is pinned on a tie.

So the only other possible problem is that it's pretty much an honor system as to whether the German player (in the above example) hasn't read through the entire log first to see the results ahead of time, then gone back and redone the log to play any necessary defense cards, etc.

The way we do it is to warn the other player in the email (with the log attached) if they might want to start their logging at the beginning of the replay. (For example, in the above example I'd tell the german player that he might want to start logging at the start of this log - warning him that there's the potential of card play on his part, which might be because I'm moving and he might want to op fire, or I'm shooting at him and he might want to play defense cards, or whatever. The other example would be a case where I'm just discarding and ending my turn - then I might just say "don't bother starting your log until after mine is done.")

In short (I know, WAY too late for that!), if you're willing to keep in mind of how your logged turn is going to come across to your opponent (and allow for any possible reactions to your actions), AND if you're good at communicating what you're doing to your opponent, then playing via email is certainly doable.

You also need to be playing with the intent of enjoying a good game, and not solely with the intent of winning at any cost. There's way too much potential for abuse in the PBEM system to optimize your game. (Basically, "to cheat".)

Anyway, if you'd like, I'd be willing to play BEM with you! Shoot me a message and we'll figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Smith
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing by email since last summer (I have no FTF experience whatsoever). It's great, and there have really been no problems at all. The VASSAL interface is fabulous. You just have to acknowledge that you're playing at a different pace and go with the flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.