Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far my initial plays of solo DT2 have more than met my expectations (if expectations include losing badly). I'm 2 solo games in, and I've lost both. In fact, I've gotten my butt kicked. I've gone from being confident that I could outthink this game to thinking about my next game's strategy as I sleep. I'm a DT newbie, so I don't have much experience to draw from, but right now, the NPC behavior is certainly more aggressive than I expected, and I'm reeling from two impressive whoopings.

In my first game, I had the run of the board for the first 3 room tiles that I opened. I thought, "this is EASY!" I only found 2 enemies during this time, and both were placed behind doors that they couldn't open without a key. I was able to move my characters about without any resistance, and managed to pick up every object on the first 3 boards. Then I opened board 4, and revealed another enemy character. I moved a few more of my characters, and then on the new enemy character's turn, he revealed 2 rooms. That opened more enemies, who then revealed another 2 rooms. By the end of the turn, 4 new rooms were opened, and the enemy unleashed a wave of destruction. From that point on, it was a hard fought battle, for which the NPC won 5-3, including a nifty escape across his own back line from a character that could escape in either direction.

I learned a few interesting things about the game after my first go around. First, if you play on higher difficulty settings, you can't simply walk around and pick up objects without resistance, as the reinforcement rules will drop enemy characters into the revealed rooms without you having to reveal any. I didn't play on a higher difficulty level, so I was able to easily control the beginning of the game and hence was slightly worried this was a common occurrence, but at higher difficulties, I need not worry about this ever happening again.

The next thing I learned was that with all the reinforcements, it is hard to reach 5 VP's just by engaging in combat. There are just too many NPC's to rely on bludgeoning them into oblivion. They have 4 potential clerics that can heal wounded faster than you can, and if you happen to lose your own cleric, you are in major trouble. Therefore, I think playing aggressively to get to the opponent's starting line is more important than I thought it was. Somehow, I'll have to figure out how to rush a few characters for the exit, while at the same time leaving some defense back.

Armed with the knowledge of my first game, I set my lineup carefully and began game 2. The first room I opened revealed a well placed Banshee. I was afraid to move my characters within his range, so, given my good fortune of the first game, I opened a second room with my only other first turn action in the hopes of revealing some more help. I won't do THAT again. This revealed another enemy NPC. He had a high exit objective, and walked out of the room through my starting line before I could stop him. The Banshee revealed 2 new rooms (he started by a corner). The next 2 rooms revealed 3 more enemies, and they revealed 3 more rooms, and all remaining NPC characters. One of the NPC's was a Naga who was able to exit my starting line from half way across the map. So at the end of turn 1, all 8 enemies were revealed, and 2 had already escaped. WOW! I had 3 actions on turn 2, but it wasn't enough. By the end of turn 2, a third enemy escaped, I was down 3-0, and then his Collosus killed my Telepath, 4-0, and his Wizard grabbed a Fireball Wand and eliminated another of my characters from long distance, 5-0. Stunned, I slowly packed the game away as my daughter looked on and with me hiding my true geekemotion.

Here's the first thing I did wrong; I opened 2 rooms on turn 1 with only 2 actions and no ability to react. I underestimated the enemy's ability to snowball his action points into more revealed rooms and more turns. I also failed to cover exits with my characters, and let them slip through my grasp. I will need to figure out how to better utilize my action points, and how to better prepare for turns when I have very little reactive ability.

I'm hoping game 3 goes better, but for now, I'm more than impressed with the AI! I don't see it ever becoming a cakewalk at higher difficulty levels, and I look forward to trying to figure out how to beat it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I hear ya.It took me 5 games before I won and I've played 7 now.I've won the last 2 games on easiest level so it's time to move up a notch in difficulty.This game is super for solo play.I love it.I can see this being extremely tough on the higher levels.I'll see when I get there.You definitely need to use different strategies for different levels of difficulty.BTW,if you're the same guy who came up with a solo system for Tomb,congrats,I loved it.

bikerboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
One important thing to do, is to place the 4 characters on the starting zone differently than in a non solo game.
I usually have two "killers" placed there : Colossus, Backstabber ; one runner : naga ; and the cleric, to quickly heal the early wounded...

Another rule is not to try to reveal too much rooms at a time (some NPCs will unfortunately tend to do the job rervealing most of the labyrinth, however).

Otherwise, closely examining priorities of the NPCs can help you lure them into traps or avoid them...
Now, you allways will have that NPC placed next ot exit and slipping between your lines without your being able to anything more than be a cow watching the train rushing in front of your muzzle.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Somebody who thinks that feathers on dinosaurs would suddenly make them not-scary has never been chased by a goose.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Robin stated, definitely get those four characters on the starting line and don't be hasty to reveal the rooms. Reveal one and use the rest of your action cards to get all set for further dungeon exploring or reacting to NPC priorities/reinforcements.

I'm on currently on the third level (green, I believe) and have played 2-3 times. Haven't won yet, but if I win it 2-3 times, I'll let myself advance.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.