Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still fighting my way through the horrid German translation of this beautiful game. I got most of it figured out, but one question remains:

At the beginning of a turn, I check if I can tail someone. If I do, he has to show me his next planned manoeuvre card.
So, is it the one that is already lying in place from the last turn, or is it the one he has to put down in this turn?
And, in any case, I cannot directly react to it, because the card I placed last turn is not yet resolved, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His must shown you his next card/move, and I believe you can adjust to that movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would make sense, and I think that it is handled this way in the WWI game, but in the rules, there is not a single word about adjusting or replacing an already played card..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind, you are right, of course.
I just downloaded the English rulebook, and there it is, exactly like you said.

Sadly, in the German rules, this isn't explained at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Skupin
Germany
Hamm
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterCrimson wrote:
I'm still fighting my way through the horrid German translation of this beautiful game. I got most of it figured out, but one question remains:

At the beginning of a turn, I check if I can tail someone. If I do, he has to show me his next planned manoeuvre card.
So, is it the one that is already lying in place from the last turn, or is it the one he has to put down in this turn?
And, in any case, I cannot directly react to it, because the card I placed last turn is not yet resolved, right?

At the beginning of a turn there should be only one card on each players console. The second comes in the planning phase, but you check for tailing before that.

So the tailing player is allowed to see the one card of the tailed player before the planning phase and that's all there is to it. The part in the english rules where you are allowed to change the maneuver card of the tailing plane was an errata and should be ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Thanks for choosing WoW!

The sequence is:
- the tailed plane shows the next card to be used (only the card, not the speed marker) to the tailing one.
- the tailing plane then plans the next card. It will have one card already planned (that stays unchanged), so the card it sees will not influence the card that will be executed simultaneously to it, but the ones that will be executed after it.

So actually a plane reacts to events with two cards of delay. Planes plane card 1 and 2, then execute 1, then plan 3, then execute 2. When you plan card 4, you already saw all cards 2 executed by everyone. With tailing, you also know what card 3 is: your reaction delay is reduced to 1 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barfal wrote:
At the beginning of a turn there should be only one card on each players console. The second comes in the planning phase, but you check for tailing before that.

So the tailing player is allowed to see the one card of the tailed player before the planning phase and that's all there is to it. The part in the english rules where you are allowed to change the maneuver card of the tailing plane was an errata and should be ignored.

We answered at the same time... Correct, no card change. Here the text as I wrote it:

TAILING
Sometimes a pilot is in an advantageous position in which he can anticipate the actions of his adversary.This is called tailing. Check for it before each planning phase.
To see if tailing is possible, use the ruler to connect the center dot of an airplane with the center dot of any plane(s) in front of it. The plane at the rear is attempting to tail, while the plane ahead of it is being tailed. Tailing is possible if the following three conditions are met: 1) The ruler reaches both dots, 2) the ruler passes through the front side of the tailing airplane card and the rear side of the tailed airplane card, and 3) the ruler does not cross any other airplane card in between. If a plane can tail two or more enemies, it must choose only one.
The player of the tailed plane must secretly show the first planned card facedown on his console to the tailing player, and only to him, before the tailing player selects his own maneuver card during the planning phase. The tailed player shows just the first card, not the speed marker that is on it.
If the tailing player controls more than one plane, he must plan the moves for all his non-tailing planes before looking at any maneuver cards of planes he is tailing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank all of you for your enlightening answers. I didn't expect such a quick response, but now we can have a small dogfight in today's coffee break.

Nice!

P.S.: Although the German rules seem to be more "correct" than the English ones in this case, I stand by my opinion that the structure and wording of the German ruleset is very confusing, even in those rare occurrences where there are no grammatical errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.