Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Normally I'd do my own research but my desires are fairly specific, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

1) I know virtually nothing about ancient warfare outside of the Punic wars. I'd like a book that encompasses a broad sweep of military history & theory in the classical world at a very high level. I appreciate it's a lot to cram in to one book but someone must have tried, I'm sure.

2) Something about the history of tank design, ideally from inception up to the present day but with a focus on WW2. I know nothing about mechanics and engineering so nothing *that* detailed, but something that discusses matters at the level of individual models would be nice. I'd like to know why the T-34 was so great, for example and why the Sherman entered service with such drastically underpowered armament and what was done about it.

3) A good, readable history of the Seven Years War with a particular focus on Britain but without pro-British bias.

4) A good, readable history of the American War of Independence with a particular focus on Britain but without pro-British bias.

5) A good, readable history of the Anglo-Spanish War with a particular focus on Britain but without pro-British bias.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommended book for warfare in Greece&Rome: Warfare in the Classical World, by John Warry (Salamander Books). One of the best reference books I have seen, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in southern England (by your profile), so I'd actually recommend a visit to the Imperial War Museum in London. It's mostly about more modern warfare, but they have lots of tanks and info about them, and it's an interesting place to see for the whole family. They have a good bookshop, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Hmm. Normally I'd do my own research but my desires are fairly specific, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

3) A good, readable history of the Seven Years War with a particular focus on Britain but without pro-British bias.

4) A good, readable history of the American War of Independence with a particular focus on Britain but without pro-British bias.

#3) It's not the most detailed book, but I really enjoyed "The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America" by Walter R. Borneman. If you want heavy detail, try "Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766" by Fred Anderson.

#4) Not sure how much focus you want on Britain, but these are excellent books that cover the details of both sides:

- "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer - Covers in great detail June 1776-February 1777: the battle of New York, Trenton, and Princeton.

- "The Road to Valley Forge" by John Buchanan: This covers the battle of New York (June 1776) through Germantown (Fall, 1777). He focuses on the conflicts between Washington and Howe, only briefly touching on the Saratoga campaign. VERY detailed.

- "The Road to Guilford Courthouse" by John Buchanan: This covers the battles in the Carolinas better than any book I have seen, including the 2 battles of Charleston, Camden, King's Mountain, Cowpens, and Guilford Courthouse. VERY detailed and an excellent read, covering the frustrations, successes, and limitations of both sides in America's first civil war.

If you read these, you will have a strong following of much of the American Revolution, with the notable exceptions of the Northern Campaign of 1775-77 (Quebec/Ticonderoga/Saratoga) and the Virginia campaign of 1781 (Yorktown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding "Crucible of War," which is good and quite engaging, albeit detailed to a fault.

Keegan wrote a decent book that covers the Seven Years' War, too, much shorter but not awful if you just want to know a little more about it. It's called "Fields of Battle."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xavilongo wrote:
My recommended book for warfare in Greece&Rome: Warfare in the Classical World, by John Warry (Salamander Books). One of the best reference books I have seen, ever.

As for ancient warfare I'll heartily second Javier's recommendation of Warry's Warfare in the Classical World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warfare-Classical-World-Encyclopedia...). It's good general history of ancient warfare and evolving tactics, with nice illustrations and good maps depicting the key battles of each era...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far - much appreciated. Keep 'em coming if there's any more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.