Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Location and Neighborhood cards confuse a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dear all,

I am still trying to learn Arkham Horror. Almost two months passed since I've last tried to learn it and in spite of some tremendous help from the gentlemen here, I am still stuck.

I have a very simple question. Lets say I've just started the game. I start at Velma's Dinner. Currently my Speed is 2 so I move to Rivertown. Rivertown is a Neighborhood location. One of the nine Neighborhood location. Rivertown is a box with a violet outline.

What do I do next? Do I proceed drawing a Mythos card OR do I draw one of the Location card, in my case a card with a Violet background? There are seven such cards for each of the nine location.

Or nothing happens when I land on such a place?

Thanks to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atte Loikkanen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no encounter in the "street" areas. So Only if you end your movement in a round location you draw the matching card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is important to make a distinction between "street" and "location" game terms. Rectangles are streets, circles are locations. The colored groups of 7 cards are for location encounters. On streets you have no encounters during the Arkham Encounter phase (although you may wish to end your turn there to quell a rumor, take advantage of some environment, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Atte and Boian!
So I understand nothing happens when I land on a rectangular box. Hmm.I guess, however, that a monster can go there and so if I land on that place, I can fight him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atte Loikkanen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. And check the monsters in the Sky. They swoop down on streets with investigators. If it's their turn to move, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Troberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, you avoid stopping in the streets if there is not compelling reason to do so (usually a monster that needs to be killed). Even if you can't reach your destination in one move, it's often better to take a detour into a location and take an encounter there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to that end it's worth almost always keeping your speed at three, as that is the bare minimum required to move from Location -> Street -> Street -> Location

Keep at it though! It's worth it once you get the rules down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Precious tips, Anders and James! Thank you!
I will have a few more questions later tonight once I will start yet another solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dear all,

Another question, if I may. This one is quite bemusing to me.

How do you resolve a Location card?

Let's take an example. I land on Graveyard.

I draw one card from the Violet Deck.

Now, the card has three "objectives" on its front.

1. Black Cave: In the darkness you happen upon the remains of a previous spelunker. Make a Luck (+0) check and consult the chart below.

2. General Store: Noticing a glint on the floor, you discover a silver dollar. Gain $1

3. Graveyard: A monster appears!

My question is: do I have to resolve all three "objectives" or only one of them? Since I am on the Graveyard place, I don't really understand if I should also attempt - at the same time - to resolve the Black Cave and the General Stores ones. Or only the objective referring to the Graveyard one (A monster appears!).

Quite confusing, I admit.

Thanks to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christie
Australia
Eastwood
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your investigator is in the Graveyard, the only encounter to resolve is the text under "Graveyard". If you had two investigators in the purple region, they would draw cards separately, and resolve the encounter that relates to their current location, even if they are in the same location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is kinda bemusing, why would one think to even do all three when clearly only one of the locations is where he/she is at . You resolve the text of the location you're in.

"The player shuffles the location
deck corresponding to the neighborhood his investigator
is in and draws a card from the deck. The player
then finds the entry for his investigator’s location" (p. 8)

emphasis added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quite so, quite so, I agree, that one was fairly easy if only I was paying more attention.

Another one is referring to the Monsters and their movement. For example:

I draw one Mythos Card. "Strange Power Flux Plagues City!" (Headline)

There is no open gate on Independence Square so I draw one Gate Marker and place it face-up on the Independence Square place. There was a clue there so I remove it. I hope that was OK.

Next step after I've drawn and placed a Gate Marker?

Draw one Monster from the Monster Cup.

I draw Vampire, which has a half-moon like green symbol in the right corner. The movement symbol.

Now, I look at the Mythos Card on its right corner. There are some Monster symbols there but not the half-moon like one. What happens in this case.

If I understand correctly, I cant move the Vampire card simply because its movement symbol is not on the Mythos card.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:
There is no open gate on Independence Square so I draw one Gate Marker and place it face-up on the Independence Square place. There was a clue there so I remove it. I hope that was OK.
Yes.

Orientalist wrote:
Next step after I've drawn and placed a Gate Marker?

Draw one Monster from the Monster Cup.
Correct.

Orientalist wrote:
I draw Vampire, which has a half-moon like green symbol in the right corner. The movement symbol.

Now, I look at the Mythos Card on its right corner. There are some Monster symbols there but not the half-moon like one. What happens in this case.

If I understand correctly, I cant move the Vampire card simply because its movement symbol is not on the Mythos card.

Is this correct?
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hill
United States
Imperial
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post here since this seems to be getting a pretty good response for newbies.

I'm trying to evade a monster in a location. I lose the evade check and fight the monster defeating it. Now during the Arkham encounter phase do I get to pick a location card or take the location action? Or is my turn completed when I fought the monster?

When a gate is closed and sealed and there are monsters in the location do they get thrown back in the cup?

When you fall below the monster limit do the monsters in the outskirts come back in town or do they remain in the outskirts?

When fighting the ancient one, when you use cards to attack can the cards be refreshed after the AO attacks are resolved?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Rimbey
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Combat with a monster takes place during the movement phase. The encounter phase is when you draw a card or use location ability. So, yes you do.

2 The monsters will stay, unless they match the symbol on the gate. Then they go.

3 The monsters in the outskirts don't come back into Arkham.

4 There is an Upkeep phase (sort of) after the GOO attacks, where you refresh spells and such. (the details are in the rulebook Page 22 The Final Battle)

Hope this helps

edit: added reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hill
United States
Imperial
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.