Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch House encounter: Roll a die. Lose that much Sanity and gain that many clue tokens.

Leo Anderson ability: Once per turn, Leo may prevent one point of Stamina or Sanity loss for any investigator.

In my last game I had Vincent Lee pull this encounter. Vincent had maximum Sanity, ie. 5. Proceeded to roll a 5. Decided to use Leo's ability to prevent one point of Sanity loss. I did not want to draw a Madness card.

What happens here?:

1. Leo's ability affects the Sanity only - lose 4 Sanity and gain 5 clue tokens.

2. Leo's ability has, in effect, modified the dice roll - lose 4 Sanity and gain 4 clue tokens.

3. You can't use Leo's ability here. Go insane but collect clue tokens (before discarding half for going insane).

4. Something similar to one of the first three options.shake

5. Something totally different to any of the first three options.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
No. 1 - I don't see any reason to make things harder or any more complicated.
Your sanity loss is five - Leo only reduces it. So you get the full five Clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
I don't see any reason to make things harder or any more complicated.

This is Arkham Horror we're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Blahut
Hungary
Békéscsaba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that Leo's ability kicks in after you got the clue tokens, but I'm just guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The encounter tells you to roll a die. Based on the number you roll, you lose that much Sanity. Based on the number you roll, you gain that many Clues. In other words, each are linked to the die roll, not to each other. So if you roll a 5, you lose 5 sanity. If you roll a 5, you gain 5 Clues.

Now if you have something that affects Sanity loss or Clue tokens, then those abilities ONLY affect that particular thing. So if Leo wants to use his ability to reduce the Sanity loss from 5 to 4, that is fine. He still gets 5 Clues because the Clues are linked to the die roll, not how much Sanity he lost. So he gets 5 Clues and loses 4 Sanity.

Likewise, if Rex Murphy had this encounter, he would lose the 5 Sanity (if he rolled a 5) and gain 6 Clues since his ability allows him to gain an extra Clue any time he gets Clues.

So your option 1 is the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice explanation Brian, that is the way I thought of it in my head - hence being my first option. Thought I'd double check though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.