Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rather "hidden' GODZILLA game I designed for the still mystery company (they insist on remaining behind the screen for now) is now in serious graphic development, with the focus on a Fall release. The figures for the 4 kaiju - Rodan, Ghidrah, Gigan and, of course, Mr Zilla - the game will feature (as a first volume ) have been done and look great (even unpainted, as they will be). We'[ve come up[ with a great play system to feature buildings - lots of them - with varying heights that can be destroyed - but not at great cost. The rules remain short, fairly simple, but sill retaining the detail to the realities of the movies . . . as everything has to be approved by Toho Films (as it haas so far).

I shall try to be newsworthy as things develop further . . . as I'm sure they will when visuals become available.

So, keep your eyes open for what should be a great Christmas gamne/gift, especially if you have kids . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, no.

There goes Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited about this game.

Except where your refer to King Ghidorah as Ghidrah. His name is King Ghidorah and my 4 yro son will be sure to correct you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Except where your refer to King Ghidorah as Ghidrah."

You are correct . . .too lazy to check typos i am . . . And we do have some interesting (real) cities to set up in the game . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I was wondering if the plans where still a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Gig Harbor
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very exciting, it sounds like you've nailed down all the features a game like this should have. I can't wait to play it with my kids (who are also fans of the big guy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Richard. My Son was asking about this just last week, so he will be pleased to know that it is still going ahead.

I don't suppose there is any chance of some component pics being made available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I don't suppose there is any chance of some component pics being made available?"

When they finish the graphics stuff, I hope so . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, Richard! I'm looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McGinnis
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I can not wait for this. I am sure it will be pretty and the kids will like it. I hope I like it too for it's faithfulness to the Toho ambiance.

Not to appear petty but do the rules contain a nod to the forums on The Geek who contributed ideas to the design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watti wrote:

I can not wait for this. I am sure it will be pretty and the kids will like it. I hope I like it too for it's faithfulness to the Toho ambiance.

Not to appear petty but do the rules contain a nod to the forums on The Geek who contributed ideas to the design?

It's extremely faithful to the Toho "facts" . . .I actually did a great deal of research (without watching too many of the movies) . . . as there is as much info on specifics as there is on many historical subjects.

And i always try to give credit to people who contribute; depends on how the publisher views it. For many years, Avalon Hill refused to recognize anybody contributed except AH.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Derksen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Richard - congrats! We will be looking forward to this and to more news as the release date approaches.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Christian
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I was shocked to see this.....as I pretty much check this page everytime I'm on the internet........My 7-year old and I are VERY excited. More updates!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Um... ahem. Where's Gamera?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is Godzilla actually the name of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:

Different Copyright holder...

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Gamera is a giant, flying turtle from a popular series of kaiju (Japanese giant monster) films produced by Daiei Motion Picture Company in Japan. It was created in 1965 to rival the success of Toho Studios' Godzilla series during the monster boom of the mid-to-late 1960s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
MScrivner wrote:

Actually no longer true - I can't find the reference, but Toho bought the rights to Gamera recently! At least I'm sure I remember that from the conversations about this game when it first began...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I feared that this game had become the boardgame equivalent of vaporware.

I am very happy to hear that the game is still in development and hasnt been shelved.

Thanks for letting us know. I am looking forward to the games release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
So is Godzilla actually the name of the game?

Yes, it is. (And we can do that becvause we're toho licensed).

"Where's Gamera?"

Rehearsing for his reality TV Show: Desperate Kaiju. We plan - based on sales, to be sure, to release follow-up games with additional kaiju and city plans, etc. But the first GODZILLA will have 4 kaiju and a bunch of cities . . . and scenarios. I treated the game like a historical simulation in terms of "recreating" the individual kaju and their abilities . . .yet retaining the ease ofp lay and simplicity that would make the game fun for kids.

And, no, there is no Raymond Burr figure.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
Rehearsing for his reality TV Show: Desperate Kaiju. We plan - based on sales, to be sure, to release follow-up games with additional kaiju and city plans, etc. But the first GODZILLA will have 4 kaiju and a bunch of cities
That sounds like a big change from the playtest, where the 'city' was abstracted - are there now 'real' cities represented?

That would be very very nice indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Scrat wrote:
MScrivner wrote:
Actually no longer true - I can't find the reference, but Toho bought the rights to Gamera recently! At least I'm sure I remember that from the conversations about this game when it first began...

The early Showa Gamera films were produced by Daiei Films as I quoted.

Toho had distribution rights for the three Heisei Gamera films, but they have never 'made' a Gamera film. I did some googling and couldn't find any references to a new Gamera film from Toho.

Gamera the Brave (2006) was produced by Kadokawa Herald Pictures/Japan Film Fund/Nippon Television Network/Yahoo! Japan.

Gamera is not part of the Godzilla 'Canon'. Whether he appears in the game or not would come down to the publishers obtaining the rights to use the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"... are there now 'real' cities represented?"

Yes .. . not truly accurately, but, given the way the gameboard works, reasonably close . . .and based on the realities of those cities. And that includes Paris and NYC (among others, including one curio . . .)

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting! I remember reading that there would be an 'advanced' version and a 'family' version of the rules. That still the plan?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, a question from my Son - Will the character miniatures be based on the older 'Showa' creatures or the more recent 'Heisei'?

I can't tell a lot of difference myself, only that Godzilla got leaner and his spines are sharper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.