Nathan Kaplan
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I looked through the first 10 pages of rules questions on Caylus, sure I would find the answer to a question that came up the other day. I didn't want to be one of the people asking about turn order for royal favors. Seriously, don't people look for their answer before they post?

In any case, either I'm blind, or no one else has had this dispute before.

The scenario was this. At the end of the current round, the bailiff moves to the scoring space, and we score the dungeon (the first part of the castle). One of the players receives a favor and picks the building track. Given that he has already scored enough favors to already be in the 2nd space of the building track, can he advance his piece beyond the "wooden building" space into the 2nd section of the favor track to the "stone building" favor?

The rules say that you can advance past the 2nd column "afterthe dungeon is scored". Given that the favors are awarded during the scoring of the dungeon, we ruled that he could not advance the way he wanted.

However, it seems like this would be an easy mistake to make and it wouldn't surprise me if other people were playing the other way. How would you play this scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: When is the limit on favor advancement lifted?
You score the dungeon, then you move into the walls phase. You cannot move into the second section of the favor track until you are in the walls phase. Your ruling is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
While you are in the middle of scoring the Dungeon section, you are not "after the scoring of the Dungeon section".

The fact that a player has houses in the next castle section is an irrelevant red herring. The rules even explicitly mention "(even if players have already started building in the next section)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said before, you cannot advance to the second section of the favor tracks while you are still scoring the first section of the castle.

This may not be very clear in the rules, but the FAQ (for instance on Ystari website http://www.ystari.com/caylus/FAQE.pdf and probably somewhere on BGG too) mentions this point.
Quote:
Q: Is the third column of the favor tracks available during the scoring of the dungeon?
A: No. The third column is only available once this scoring is completed. The earliest opportunity to use this column is during phase 3 of the next turn, by using the joust field. Similarly, the last column of the favor tracks is not available during the scoring of the walls.

The whole FAQ (one page) might be worth reading, although (in my very biased opinion) the answers to most of the questions can be deduced from the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.