Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've decided to try this one again after more than a year of sitting on my shelf after some initial playings. I didn't care for it at first for several reasons but the more I look at it now, it may be that perfect 'niche' game with my wife.

I recently received Awakening the Bear and thought I might get her into wargaming with that one as I like the programmed instruction and the first few scenarios are not that complicated. But my ultimate goal is to get her into Command and Colors Ancients, so I was looking at my collection for a simple card driven game. We the People was also a possibility. Then I saw Manoeuvre on my shelf.

I'd tricked out the game a little since the last time I played, getting another counter set and making the counters twice as thick as normal. I think that the card aspect would be a good bridge to CCA later. The fact that you only move one unit won't overwhelm her with decisions and there are only 8 pieces on your side. You can get an understanding of how terrain works and firing and quite a few other concepts that are similar in CCA. Hmmm.

She's played and liked Hive and Battle Line so far. The quick playing time for Man is also a winner. Lastly, the ability to slant the sides is a good thing. I could give her the French and I take a less powerful country like Austria or the Spanish. That might help her get some confidence in the game early and I've always found when teaching or being taught a game, it helps for the new player to do well at first (I'm surprised how many demo people don't grasp this! Crush me in your demo and I probably am not buying your game!)

I'll post a session report of how it goes, with a pic or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My wife and I enjoy playing this game. It's simple, but there's enough depth to it to make each game interesting.

Did you ever get it to the table? I look forward to how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also hoping to get my wife to play this. We have played Lost Cities which she really enjoys. It's very light and there is a strong element of luck, which means that my FAR bigger experience with boardgames doesn't skew the game too much in my favor.

We also tried 2 de Mayo, but after one play she wasn't too eager to try again. It was a close game, so I don't think it was the crushed-in-the-introduction-game thing that turned her off. I think maybe the secret writing of orders was a bit too much.

Manoeuvre might be a good game to try next, but maybe there is too much direct conflict. You have an excellent point about using the different strength levels to even the odds. Also it has a fairly strong element of luck, which is an advantage in this case.

I have only played the game once vs. one of my geen buddies, so I better play a game with my wife soon before I get too much experience playing the guys in my playgroup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas and Leah Stanley-Jones
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a great game for all the reasons you listed above. I've played this with my wife once and she enjoyed it enough to ask to play again. Sadly, life has had other designs on our gaming time. I think we'll be back at it again soon though.

That's been one of my favorite challenges and pleasures, getting my wife to join me in my passion for boardgames. She certainly plays them for different reasons than I do, but they're are some games we enjoy very much. Manoeuvre is great to bring out just because the competitive aspect is completely in your control. And yet, it's a wargame. You can set it up so that you have to fight very hard and well to even come close to winning while it gives your lovely, dear wife, a chance to feel the joy and power in completely obliterating your enemy, Mwhahaha! Once she gets a taste for that, Bring on Combat Commander Baby!

Ok, so I'm probably dreaming a bit, but they will play with us more at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.