Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, just got the game and i am itching to get a play in after reading the rule book. I started a game with my son the other night and after finally getting the board all set up (took awhile after many rule book consults,(my son just wanted to play and was getting bored)) we got 1 whole season done YAY and then it was bedtime(for my son). I had a question regarding conducting a battle. If the defender has only a level 3 critter does he wait until the attacker has attacked with his level 1 and 2 guys before drawing fate cards for level 3 fighters? or does the defender draw cards for his level 3 guys when the attacker starts his level 1 fighters? Hope the question makes sense. I undersatnd that each level of fighters only draws fate cards once but just wondering. It would seem that if a horde of low iniative level fighters attacks a few level 5 critters they could destroy or at least rout them easily before they could do any counter damage. please let me know, I'm hoping to maybe give it another hopefully longer go tonight. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave O
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
turok12 wrote:
It would seem that if a horde of low iniative level fighters attacks a few level 5 critters they could destroy or at least rout them easily before they could do any counter damage.

That is correct. Initiative 1 units will draw their Fate cards before the initiative 3 units so it is possible that the initiative 3 units will be destroyed or routed before they draw Fate cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that the Initiative 1 units typically are a lot weaker than the Initiative 5 units.

To bring the game's predecessor into it, though, Battlemist, one thing about that should be noted, that I think was interestingly done in this game, even if in a different way.

In Battlemist, a battle continued until either one side was wiped out, or until one side had NO STANDING FOOTMEN LEFT. This meant that in theory, a 1-footman army could win against a 200-archer army. Yeah, in reality that won't happen, but what it did is force you to diversify your army. Footmen were kind of the "dregs" of the army, but they also represented the backbone. You couldn't just build a massive cavalry/archer army, you also had to have your staple foot soldiers to keep viable.

I think Runewars does this in a way, too - you can't just build armies of big-bads, because they tend to be slower and by themselves, may not get a chance to fight. You need to fill your army with the faster, typically weaker, units to keep your bad guys shielded until they get a chance to unleash their fury.

Personally, I like that approach. It keeps weak, nimble armies competitive when faced with small, powerful armies. It means that there's no one "super army" that ends all armies - you have to balance and diversify to keep your bases covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.