GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a limit to the number of times a character can trade with other characters on their turn?

I understand that characters may not move after trading. I also understand that Fighting ends a characters turn. But how much can a character do after moving but before fighting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of times a character can trade with other characters on their turn?

I understand that characters may not move after trading. I also understand that Fighting ends a characters turn. But how much can a character do after moving but before fighting?

There is no restriction to the number of cards you may trade. The only limitation is that you must be able to hold the cards you get in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rules about trading are pretty clear.

- characters must be orthagonally adjacent
- any number of cards can be traded, doesn't have to be an "even" trade
- a character must have an open space on their board to receive a card, but can discard (or trade) existing cards to make room
- movement ends when exchanging cards, so you can't trade and run

There isn't a restriction listed for how many characters can be trading items, so if you were adjacent to a couple of allies then you could do a lot of trading before combat. Haven't seen that happen too often, but it's definitely possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I get all of that.

Here's a simple example of what happened:

Xander and Willow are hanging out at the University Library because it's full of research spots. Spike is standing next to Willow. Willow has 2 Research cards and 1 Help. Xander has 1 Research cards and 2 Helps and is standing in the corner (adjacent to Willow but not Spike).

Can Willow perform this sequence of actions?

Can Willow play her Help card, trade with Xander for another Help card, play the 2nd Help card, trade with Xander again for his last Help card, then play the 3rd Help card? Now she casts her Spell of Oblivion with 6 Majik dice (Her own three, plus one from each Help card she played). She then draws a Research card since she's got a slot available and she's on a Yellow spot. She doesn't like the new card and trades it with Xander for his research card (Healing). She casts Healing on Xander, then trades with him for a sixth time (seventh time?) to get her research card back.

And she still hasn't attacked.

Edit: OR, after trading for Xanders first Help card she can't trade with him again for the remainder of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
From the "What a character can do during their turn" section on page 6 of the rulebook, the order of player actions doesn't matter and actions can be split (with some exceptions for movement/fighting). I'd say that example is legit.

Your example takes this to the extreme, but I don't see it breaking any rules. That's the benefit of having two well-equipped characters stay close together and working as a team, instead of splitting up to grab more resources. Of course, the turn you described would also leave Xander and Willow pretty much spent until they can restock their cards... and it also would've taken several turns to build up the characters that far.

If you find cooperation too powerful, you could always add a house rule... but I'd bet that just knowing this is possible and adjusting your play accordingly would work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Not sure if it's too powerful, but at least I know it's not against the rules.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.