BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Vassal Preferences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am running Vassal on a machine currently a little limited as far as memory goes. I plan on adding memory in the near future, but even then I'll max out at 1.25Gb. Can someone point me to a thread, or wiki that will enable me to optimize the preference settings. If you have advice, that too would be appreciated. I keep having problems with the heap-memory settings. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run Vassal on a 0.5GB machine. I set initial heap to 128 and maximum heap to 320 and i have no problems.

Keep in mind that you have to set the heap for each module you use separately. Also because same maps are very large i use the option "Prefer memory-mapped files..." so they load on my machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
How much memory do you have and what operating system are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Geo notes, the settings are module specific and need to be adjusted accordingly based on the module in use. There is no one size fits all.

Sometimes assigning mounds of memory for the sake of being sure to just run a module can actually be detrimental to its efficiency if it is a very simple module, i.e Memoir 44 whereas a more complex module like Combat Commander requires lots of memory.

In essence though (at the moment) this is very user machine dependent according to what your system setup is, what other operations your system is concurrently running in background - how much memory is being used to do so, how much you have left available, and how big the largest contiguous free block of memory is that will enable the maximum / best setting to use.

You can never know the latter without special tools (memory address mapper) but you do know how much free memory you have from task manager/equivalent and therefore know what the theoretical maximum possible block of memory could be that you can assign as the max heap, but it is very unlikely you'll be ever able to use it so should shoot for about 75% of this possible max as a good starting point and maybe 50% for a much simpler module
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travillaintim wrote:
You can never know the latter without special tools (memory address mapper) but you do know how much free memory you have from task manager/equivalent and therefore know what the theoretical maximum possible block of memory could be that you can assign as the max heap, but it is very unlikely you'll be ever able to use it so should shoot for about 75% of this possible max as a good starting point and maybe 50% for a much simpler module

It doesn't seem like it'll be an issue for this person, and it might only be an issue with the software I use, but setting to the max heap to greater than 2GB can cause problems of it's own with garbage cleanup. At least that's what I've seen with java 1.5. And then again, that might only be of concern with more 'realtime' software, of which Vassal really isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:

Win XP running on an Athlon 64 w/512Mb. I am going to upgrade to 1.25Gb soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riptcord wrote:
charlescab wrote:

Win XP running on an Athlon 64 w/512Mb. I am going to upgrade to 1.25Gb soon.

I'd say if you have problems running Vassal on a system like that, your issues might very well lie with your PC. I run it on a very long-in-the-tooth 6 yr old laptop with WinXP SP3 and only a P4 1.4 GHz CPU, 768 MB RAM and a truly craptastic Intel 82852 onboard video card. As a comprise, I do only run at a rez of 1024x768, but I get very satisfactory performance with any boardgame and I've done virtually no module specific tweaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schindler
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A couple of things you can do to improve performance.

First use the msconfig command at the run line. This will show you what programs may be running with startup you don't need. If you have a question on the exe running, keep your browser open and google the program.

One program that loads itself is Acrobat. You really don not need it until you call up a pdf. Hijack This is a free program for finding malware, but can be used to shut down programs you don't open all the time.

As with any change make a note as to what you did. You made need to undone it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to try changing the "prefer memory mapped" option. I've found modules that only run with it off. I have 4Gb RAM, and have never successfully run vassal with a heap size over 1.7 Gb. I beleive the maximum limit is 2 GB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.