GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » Rules

Subject: Laos/Cambodia Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks!!

I have another question, from a game(our second), played during the weekend.

Can the Laotian/Cambodian Allied units attack the NVA and VC in the respective Laos and/or Cambodian provinces, or viceversa(the NVA/VC attack Laotian/Cambodian allied units)?

This happened during our game: for purposes of interdicting the NVA/VC strategic movement the Blue player(I assumed), can place one Laotian or Cambodian VETERAN unit at Laos/Cambodia border province with no NVA/VC units, so the Red player pays one extra Movement Point and therefore the strategic movement(which costs 1 RP), gets 'neutralized'. Also, the untried units do not affect movement, henceforth I wrote VETERAN on upper case.

Now, for the same token, the NVA/VC could attack these VETERAN Laotian or Cambodian units, as to reopen the movement through the Ho Chi Minh trail(strategic movement)?

I really thank in advance my fellow gamers for their knowledge and wisdom on this one.

Regards,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cambodian and Laotian Allied units may attack enemy units in their country. The Allied player may move a Laotian (or Cambodian) unit to the Ho Chi Minh Trail in its country, and it will stop strategic movement as you pointed. This is risky though. The Red player will almost certainly eliminate the unit, and then the Blue player will lose his numerical advantage in Laos (or Cambodia). This means the Pathet Lao now has a pretty good chance of eliminating the Blue Laotian forces, especially with a little card help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval wrote:
Also, the untried units do not affect movement, henceforth I wrote VETERAN on upper case.

You do not need veteran Blue units to prevent Red strategic movement on the HCM trail, untried units will also do it. The +1 mp cost to move through spaces with veteran units is a completely different rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,Folks!!

Stan, thanks for the observation and comments.

Dan, thank you too for the clarification: upon re reading the rules what you said is correct: just the presence of an Allied unit(either untried or vet) is enough to block the Ho Chi Minh Trail(strategic movement).

The ground movement inside SVN is the one affected by vet units(+1 movement point), and only if the moving units get across a province with a vet unit on in, not if the movement starts or ends at a vet occupied province.

This game is not overly complicated, but there are some minor details that you need to keep in mind, in order to play the game correctly.

H&M is truly a gem, an awesome game; if you can, get it and play it.

Thanks,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.