Panzer General: Allied Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Feed back and Omaha scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sly moi
France
flag msg tools
Hi all !!!

I've got this great boardgame and as many games i have, i studied its mechanisms.
It seems to work very well, as simple as efficient.

It could appear very hazardous during fights.
Too many cards can be played and diminish the power of very good units but, finally, all cards played must be payed by prestige points or by sacrifice so it is balanced in fine.
Perhaps the power differential between some infantry units and some armor units could be larger (because eliminate a Tiger division with a recruits just by playing good cards better than my adversary looks amazing and a bit strange ).
Sometime (often i can say) it is too easy to eliminate a unit and it cant return fire ; i think it is to speed the game.
That's my point o view (but i still think it is a very good game).

I've found too some historicals "mistakes" as on Omaha beach for exemple. I'm all right it was an historical heavy offensive but not in the Deck type for US side. I admit you need to balance adversity to have a playable scenario but having Pershing and sherman division on beachead is not really correct.
I would have allowed more bombardment cards for US to simulate naval support but the only beachead would have been infantry and perhaps light armor.
The amphibious shermans unfortunatly sunk historically and juste some light armor came after too many infantry losses.
I know it just a game and history could bypass it but as you create a really good game as historical, i think you can stay closer in the scenarios.
It seems that deck units of Omaha and Utah have been inverted... right ?

Once more, it's my point of view and i share it to you.

Sorry if my english writen is'nt so good, it's just not my first language (i'm not so far from Omaha beach ).
Thank you reading me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...the power differential between some infantry units and some armor units could be larger (because eliminate a Tiger division with a recruits just by playing good cards better than my adversary looks amazing and a bit strange ).

The card play represents other aspects in the battle besides just the unit involved. So, through card play your infantry might have accurate fire against the Tiger, but the cards also represent long range artillery, air strikes, etc.

I agree, this is a great game, but it is too abstract if you are looking for historical accuracy. Memoir 44 suffers from this as well despite the fact that it's a great game. If you want historical accuracy there are plenty of great titles out there to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that some of the strength ratings for different units - particularly in respect to each other - seem strange. (I, for one, think the armor attack rating for the M4A1 is about two points too high, but maybe the designer is factoring in that the M4 tanks usually outnumbered the German tanks, in the average encounter.) I don't think the game scale is division-sized units, though. I can't see them as being any larger than battalion size, since there are cards that only represent Tigers, King Tigers, Panthers, etc.

I know this - when I played the Metz scenario twice, it was very, very tough to take out the King Tiger, even with the action card modifiers and such. Consider that both sides get to play the action cards, and it tends to balance out, over time, while still leaving that occasional odd result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Every man is as God made him, aye, and often worse." -Miguel de Cervantes
mbmbmbmbmb
From the designer's notes in the rulebook:

"The notion was to dispense with true scale and an accurate simulation in favor of providing an engaging 'fun first' experience..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmkraehe wrote:
Quote:
...the power differential between some infantry units and some armor units could be larger (because eliminate a Tiger division with a recruits just by playing good cards better than my adversary looks amazing and a bit strange ).

The card play represents other aspects in the battle besides just the unit involved. So, through card play your infantry might have accurate fire against the Tiger, but the cards also represent long range artillery, air strikes, etc.

I agree, this is a great game, but it is too abstract if you are looking for historical accuracy. Memoir 44 suffers from this as well despite the fact that it's a great game. If you want historical accuracy there are plenty of great titles out there to choose from.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. PG:AA at least make distinctions between the strengths of the various armor units and the various soft units. In M'44, an "M4A1" is identical to a "King Tiger", for instance.

Too, the terrain in PG:AA makes a bigger difference than it does in M'44.

Granted, they're both in the lower half of the realism spectrum, but M'44 isn't close to PG:AA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.