Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was looking at houses on the market in Green Bay, I noticed something in common for both houses I visited. They both had Monopoly, Sorry, Trouble, and Life on a shelf in the basement. Do you think sellers agents tell these families to put them down there? Does every nonBGG family in America have these 4 requisite games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a house (back in Sept.) and must have looked at nearly 40 properties. Yep, most of them had those 4 (+or- a few other mass market titles) either in the basement or family room. However the one house that was vacant and professionally staged was lacking any games at all.

Good Luck in your hunt for your new home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy my house then! Ok I am not in Green Bay, I am in CT. =)

I never notice abotu that when we looked at houses, but you are right, never seen a bgger selling a house. I had set up my third smaller bedroom to be our game room with 1.5 shelves of games...but unfortunately no buyers that came to see cared. sigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of thoughts.

1) Mass produced board games are cheap, and so somewhere along the line someone will buy a kid a game of monopoly or sorry. And being cheap, who cares if you leave them lying around during an open house.

2) If I were selling my house, my rows and rows (and rows) of boardgames would be packed up safely by the time of any open house.

So, maybe not as dire as it first may look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorta related.

About 4-5 months ago, I had a gas leak in the house at about 10pm. I called the gas company to come check things out. So, in their checking out, they went into the basement and seen the games. One of the guys was a board game collector himself. He had never heard of the Geek, either, and was facinated by all of the different games. As he said, he didn't recognize any of them (and he said he had a collection of 300 or so).

I told him about the Geek but I wonder if he ever found his way here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Sorta related.

About 4-5 months ago, I had a gas leak in the house at about 10pm. I called the gas company to come check things out. So, in their checking out, they went into the basement and seen the games. One of the guys was a board game collector himself. He had never heard of the Geek, either, and was facinated by all of the different games. As he said, he didn't recognize any of them (and he said he had a collection of 300 or so).

So he had a collection of themed Monopoly, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
bop517 wrote:
Sorta related.

So he had a collection of themed Monopoly, then.

First thing that popped in my mind.

I have a couple of friends who have game colletions of 200+ and don't have euro games whatsoever. One guy has war and old AH. The other friend has old mass market and party games (or old small run games).

So perhaps his collection was like that?

Even a collection of Monopoly is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.