Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just file this one under semi-crazy pre-married years...

Years ago my friends and I used to play Titan continually. If you've played Titan enough then you've seen plenty of battles turn because your 9 point Titan can't kill a Gargoyle in one round, etc. Eventually my friends and I grew tired of the whining ("I should have won that battle..."), so we developed a diceless Titan combat system.

In short, you got six chits numbered 1 to 6. Instead of rolling a combat di you would play one of your chits. You could not reuse a number until they had all be played. That way every time every player got the same percentage of 1's through 6's. We also applied this system to the movement.

I know that may sound like it lengthened the games, but you'd be surprised. Instead of agonizing about attacking you know for certain if you'll kill that critter.

Are there any other game mods people would like to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do you handel an 18 die Serpent? Do you use your 6 chits 3 times each, (Result: 6,6,6,5,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,1) or is it just 18 6's, 4's or which ever chit you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like using an average dice option to save time.

Say you are rolling 7 dice and you damage on a 5+.

You can take the average (2 hits) and roll 1 dice.

You have the option of rolling still.

So... of a low or average result will kill, you choose that.

If you need to hit one for the benches, you roll. But you might whiff too.

I designed a space civilization/combat game with this option and folks liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use expected values for each character to determine the number of hits. A serpent hits a skill 4 3 times, a skill 3, 6 times, and a skill 2 9 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:
So how do you handel an 18 die Serpent? Do you use your 6 chits 3 times each, (Result: 6,6,6,5,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,1) or is it just 18 6's, 4's or which ever chit you play?

18 dice is 18 separate chits...

Keep in mind you only have six chits. Each chit is one die roll. The chits do not refresh until all six are used. Left over chits carry over to the next battle roll (or next battle if the combat is over).

Example: It is the last round of a combat and your 9 pt Titan with 5 wounds is facing an unwounded Angel.

You have all six of your chits available to play 1,2,3,4,5,6
Your opponents has five chits available 1,2,3,4,6

The Angel strikes first. Since he rolls six dice his first five rolls are the remaining five chits 1,2,3,4,6 which is 2 hits. He then gets a new batch of chits 1-6. He plays the 4 and puts a 3rd hit on the Titan. That puts the Titan at 8 wounds.

Your Titan now strikes. He has 9 dice. Since you have all six chits you score 3 hits with the 4,5,6. You then get a fresh batch of chits. You choose to play the 4,5,6 and get 3 more hits killing the Angel.

The battle now ends. You are left with chits 1,2,3. During your next battle you will have to play the 1,2,3 before getting new chits. Your opponent was left with 1,2,3,5,6 because he played the 4 on your Titan.

Sounds crazy but I guarantee there were no arguements/whining about die rolls.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Squires
United States
Woodland Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Isn't that the dungeon twister system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Volte6 wrote:

Not exactly. In dungeon twister, you never get your "chits" back (although you can always play a zero). Obviously that wouldn't work for Titan. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
sgilbert wrote:

In short, you got six chits numbered 1 to 6. Instead of rolling a combat di you would play one of your chits. You could not reuse a number until they had all be played. That way every time every player got the same percentage of 1's through 6's. We also applied this system to the movement.

Using this system for movement would dramatically affect the game. You could quite quickly recruit top-level creatures in your Titan stack, and movement patterns (and disrupting them) would be a complex issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volte6 wrote:

Don't know... never played that. Either way we were doing this back in the 80's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hycanth wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

Using this system for movement would dramatically affect the game. You could quite quickly recruit top-level creatures in your Titan stack, and movement patterns (and disrupting them) would be a complex issue.

You are right it does dramatically up the recruiting because of the control you gain. Just an fyi, we actually had two sets of chits. One for combat and one for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.