Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm interested in picking up some additional content for Arkham Horror but don't really have the table space right now to get another big-box expansion that comes with a board.

(I do have a bigger surface which I play group games on, but it's usually tidied away in the corner, so I play solo games on that )

Whilst I try to sort out getting the Small-Arkham map printed (I have no idea what I'll mount it on...) I was considering what I really want for my money...

The answer is basically more location cards to add a bit of diversity! I haven't actually played many games and I'm already tired of the repetition.

So, any recommendations? (Afaik if I were to get a big box I'd get Dunwich first...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as i see it "black goat" adds heralds, which is supposed to be nice. and "king in yellow" adds blights and the "acts" which is also nice.

and there is supposed to come a small box soon, with new stuff. so perhaps wait a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure I've got so many expansions to catch up on I should get started soon! And I don't want the first expansion I buy to ask me to throw away all my gate portals

I was looking at the King in Yellow, seems interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd probably say King in Yellow, cuz with just it and the base game, the Acts will be a very real threat (they lose potency with dilution).........although the same could be said of Black Goat of the Woods too.
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh is also good, but it doesn't suffer at all from dilution, so I'd stick with one of the other two to start with (so you can experience them how they're supposed to be experienced, before adding in all the other expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
King in Yellow. Unless you really want bursts then you need Black Goat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The King In Yellow is the best and most interesting of the three small expansions currently in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer Black Goat of the Woods, but King in Yellow is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would kinda say go with the order they were printed:

Dark Pharaoh
King in Yellow
Black Goat

DP adds location cards, which you wanted, but it does not add much new gameplay. It's kind of like "base game plus."

KiY adds the acts, blights, and heralds, which are fun, but change the game significantly.

Black Goat I think is the least of the three, but others feel differently.

The newest one, Lurker at the Threshold, looks great, but why wait when there's so much available now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait for Lurker, honestly. I haven't like the small boxes that much, as it seems to add more fluff than anything substantial. With new gate tokens, Relationships and Pacts, I think this will be a really good, almost must-have expansion

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Pharaoh:
Pros: Great theme. Interesting Encounters. Some Spells are kinda nifty. Exhibits are very nifty. Allies rock!
Cons: Encounters and Mythos are plagued with poorly-worded phrases and mechanics. Exhibits do not remain nifty for very long. Benefits/Detriments may seem interesting because they are new, but there are only four of each, and they wear out their welcome very quickly. Barred from Neighborhood is a wretched mechanic. For the most part, this expansion doesn't enhance the AO Nyarlathotep at all. Herald not included.

King in Yellow:
Pros: Most investigator cards are interesting and fun. Loaded with theme. Puts serious life into the Terror Track. When played as the only expansion, the Next Act mechanic adds tension. Herald is fun and challenging. Enhances Hastur quite a bit.
Cons: ...uh...when mixed with too many expansions...no, that's true for any expansion...Blights suck...no, they rock, I'm just bitter about last week's game...sorry, I really can't think of anything to go here.

Black Goat:
Pros: Herald is a major challenge. Cult Deck and Corruptions are fun mechanics. Mythos Gate Bursts are not dependent on any other board but Arkham. Dark Druid makes for some nifty monster movement.
Cons: If playing without the brutal Herald, almost everything else in the box virtually disappears from play, and with those cards "missing", the theme of the box evaporates. Items that wake up the Ancient One are silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.