Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Gahagan
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are all the cloisters completely surrounded by farms? There are a few tiles that look like a cloister, but have a road leading to it? Is that actually a cloister or just a "road ender"??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloisters can have all other terrain as surroundings. Depending on what expansions you're using, there are even cloisters inside cities, and cloisters with four-way road intersections. You then have the option of placing a meeple either on the cloister or on the other terrain feature(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloister (the Stupid) was god of the Cat people. He was frozen in time, but promised to return and lead the Cat people to the promised land of Fuchal.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Gahagan
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
We just have the basic game -- just got it. So I understand that even the ones with a little tiny building and a road leading to it IS a cloister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb

Tiles A and B have cloisters.
Tiles L, W, X do not have cloisters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
mgahagan wrote:
We just have the basic game -- just got it. So I understand that even the ones with a little tiny building and a road leading to it IS a cloister.

Cloisters are always the same size and appearance, as illustrated in the game manual. The small buildings are just decorative artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Gahagan
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you so much Chris. I have heard that pictures are worth a thousand words!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, a Cloister is a big honking building, a feature on the tile, and not the tile itself.

In basic Carcassonne, there are 4 tiles with a Cloister completely surrounded by empty field, and 2 tiles with a Cloister completely surrounded by empty field except for one road segment that ends at the Cloister. The River, which is probably included in your base set, also has 1 tile with a Cloister. On that one, there is a piece of river, and a road that goes over the river and into the Cloister.

So, the "ones with a little tiny building and a road leading to it IS a cloister." would be a tile with 3 places you could place a meeple. You could place him on the Cloister itself, on the road leading to the Cloister, or lay him in the field as a farmer. The little buildings are decoratively only and should be ignored.

Whether this is helpful or confusing, I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgahagan wrote:
Thank you so much Chris. I have heard that pictures are worth a thousand words!!!

And as Chris proved while I was trying to write up a big honking response, a picture can also be a whole lot faster than a thousand words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
In the base set, there should be four cloisters with only grass around them, and two cloisters with a single road leading to the door. The building drawings are quite different - but both kinds are cloisters.

I'm not sure what the rules look like lately, but in the original rules, the one with a road was used as the example on page 1 (with "cloister" as the label) in the images of features that can appear on tiles. The one without any roads was used for the example of followers on features (with "monk" and "cloister" as labels) on page 2. You just have to know both types are considered cloisters, but none of the other little buildings scattered around the tiles quallify. A lot of "tiny" buildings are just farmhouses.

If you use the river expansion, there should be one more cloister - of the type with a road.

BTW: We call it a monastery.

[EDIT] Already explained, but hopefully it all helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is the succulent offspring of a clam and an oyster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
Cloister (the Stupid) was god of the Cat people. He was frozen in time, but promised to return and lead the Cat people to the promised land of Fuchal.

HTH

If you're a god, why THAT face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
Bigland wrote:

HTH

"No! No! It was me, Lester- Lester the stupid!"

and now we see if anyone else catches the reference...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be confused with a clyster...
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Psst, Thisisacow: change it to "Lister".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.