Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I told a coworker that lately I've been into board games. He replied, "Oh, virtual board games over the internet." I responded, "No, actual board games." He then asked, "So, the players use web cams?"

Let the reuniting begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering your screen name, his questions were not misplaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
androidlove wrote:

Let the reuniting begin.

Until you use one of the myriad PBeM or online gameplay tools...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My screen name is about my view on life. It's not about technology. He doesn't know my screen name either.

Xookliba wrote:
androidlove wrote:

Let the reuniting begin.

Until you use one of the myriad PBeM or online gameplay tools...

I tried a little of that. It defeats the purpose for me. Games, to me, are a way of getting people together. The using of the brain is a perk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you enjoy playing games, and can't always get together with friends (especially at work during lunch time) then the internet is really the only way to go. I would for sure rather play a game face-to-face with a friend, but I can't always do that, so I play online. Also, I have friends who have moved away, and I enjoy playing games with them online as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Keech
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
androidlove wrote:
"So, the players use web cams?"

...and USB powered robotic arms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
androidlove wrote:
I tried a little of that. It defeats the purpose for me. Games, to me, are a way of getting people together. The using of the brain is a perk.

Well said and I totally agree.

chadmart wrote:
But if you enjoy playing games, and can't always get together with friends (especially at work during lunch time) then the internet is really the only way to go. I would for sure rather play a game face-to-face with a friend, but I can't always do that, so I play online. Also, I have friends who have moved away, and I enjoy playing games with them online as well.

I could see myself playing certain games by email with gaming friends that have moved away. What are some of your most frequently played games in this format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett_B wrote:

chadmart wrote:

I could see myself playing certain games by email with gaming friends that have moved away. What are some of your most frequently played games in this format?

I typically play on BSW, and it just depends on what we feel like at the time... lately it's been Stone Age. Additionally, I have a friend who is really into Chess, and we used to play by email a lot... not so much anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett_B wrote:
androidlove wrote:

Well said and I totally agree.

I agree that it's well said. But to me, games are a way of combating boredom by firing up the imagination and intellect (in that order of importance). So I can enjoy games solo.

When it comes to getting people together, I'd just as soon we have a meal or watch a movie or spend time chatting. Games can be good ice-breakers sometimes, but I find the competition can also spoil social harmony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
androidlove wrote:

I agree that nothing beats FtF. Plus I love the tactile experience of actual game components.

However, esp. if you are a wargamer, lack of opponents at hand coupled with the great length of time required to complete a game and excellent PBeM options (cyberboard, VASSAL, wargameroom, etc.), combined with that pesky "life gets in the way" thing means that I spend an awful lot of time playing by email.

Even with opponents who live just across town.

Plus, playing by email means that I get a little gaming time in every day (potentially). Arranging FtF time cannot approach that. So, PBeM gets a big thumbsup from me, if for nothing else than keeping wargaming alive these past 20 years or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
....When it comes to getting people together, I'd just as soon we have a meal or watch a movie or spend time chatting. Games can be good ice-breakers sometimes, but I find the competition can also spoil social harmony.

I agree that games can be good ice-breakers, but in practice I find it is somewhat the reverse. When my wife and I get together with my buddy and his wife, I am impatient to get to a game, but my wife would rather the game wait. In fact she would be OK if we didn't play a game. So I have to endure a socially acceptable ice-breaker period of chatting about whatever, and possibly quite a bit of time passes before a game can start. I find it quite natural to socialize DURING the game, and would prefer to do so. Just sitting and chatting can sometimes be awkward, even with good friends.
Edit: Chatting during a game is not an excuse to allow for excessive game delays! We are intelligent beings, and should be able to do both.

I don't want to start another discussion about food & drink damage to games, but I find that eating during a game is also fine within reason, when everyone takes proper care and respect for the game components. On the other hand, taking a break while everone prepares a meal together is quite an enjoyable activity. This is far better than having one person excuse themselves and interrupt the game frequently in order to try to prepare food while the game continues.
Edit: I guess that goes along with the idea that it is more enjoyable to do things while actually together, rather than in separate places, whether gaming or not.

Closer to the original topic, I much prefer playing face to face. I really don't enjoy playing on-line, and would rather just play solo! I haven't tried PBeM, but it doesn't seem like it would work for some of my favorite games, nor does it seem that it would be satisfying for the rest. But since I have just moved literally thousands of miles away from my best friends, I may have to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.